• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winter Peas???

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter Peas???

This question is not related to marketing and there is
    not much action on the pulse crop forum so I thought
    I would ask it here. I see there is research done with
    winter peas in Alberta. Are they a specific variety or
    are they just a common variety and they are seeding
    them in the fall to see what happens.

Interesting. Maybe they are peas with special coatings. Its pretty rare for a pea to volunteer. Once they are soaked up they split when it freezes and makes them unviable the next spring.

Great experiment but at 30 bucks /acre just for seed I will go with an earlier seeding date for now.

Comment

The work on winter peas is starting with seeding this fall. Mark Olson is the lead on the researc. He can be reached at:

780-968-3556
      or
      mark.olson@gov.ab.ca

Some of the work is being done here at the Crop Diversification Centre South at Brooks.

Comment

These winter peas are the same as winter wheat. Seed late aug, early Sept they grow, go dormant and grow again come spring. Yeild can double spring seede peas from what I was told.

Comment

They would be a fit for winter wheat stubble. I am interested. Is there any chance a farmer could do this in the coming months or are we talking years.

I would like to try them with my disk drill and get the rolling out of the way.

Comment

I had heard they wont be available until 2010 or 2012.

Comment

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/newslett.n
              sf/all/agnw13826

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...