• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Rack .... Pea report

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We had only 2/10 on that rain, the plots had about 3/10 and everything 1 mile west to the river received 1 to 2 inch's. That was the main driver of bigger yields west of here.
    So it was interesting to see plot pea yields maintain the higher yields guys had further west.
    The main Rack plot was seeded about 10 days after our peas were in, so they did not freeze off or get that hail 3 days after , so my side by side plots should not have been really comparable but they were not far off.
    As we all noticed, the later seeded crops did much better in general.

Comment

We have used Releaf with odyssey in the past but after a few years back trialing seen no economic benefit. We spray Heat 3-5 days before seeding. Never after seeding bite been working great but getting a little scared of using it!

Comment

Gly plus express sg 3 days after seeding 8-30-15-15 with the seed. Double inoculated sprayed with bassagran and 2 gal an acre of acres and then assure plus half rate of fungi then come back with full rate of dung later.

80 plus peas all day long. Nothing else we have tried comes close

Comment

Sounds reasonable Klause. You spraying at 2 gal water per acre? Sounds risky? What leaf stage?

Comment

All pre seed treatments in the Rack plots were done the day after seeding to try to mimic 2014 events other than weather which is always the wild card.
            Saskcan - at 3-4 days before seeding with any pre burn would be deemed very safe. If you read the label of Sharpen it clearly says to remove the treated soil layer above the seed furrow to reduce possible injury from rain flushing into root zone. That info was not on heat label . seeding after application effectively removes that ' treated ' soil layer above the seed row.
            In 2014 we sprayed our pre burn with heat just two days before emergence - that was followed up by a heavy rain 5 days later. Nothing was proven detrimental but I will not do that again - just my opinion on my own farm.
            Klause , your 'recipe ' is very solid - and very safe. We will be following something very similar this year. Except for the 2 gal per acre of acres - explain ??
            The Rack did show publicaly something I learned a while ago - the group 2 herbicides are tying up at least 4 micro nutrients imediately after application leading to flashing and poor root growth for a short period. That was the big reason for the Rack adding a micro nutrient package to viper - plant growth and yields supported that along with early disease reduction. We used to use dyanagrow with odyssey for the same reason - we always seen a big difference , 5-8 bpa, the guys at bio organics have known this for years - and most farmers and Chem reps think it's snake oil - lol
            All that being said , everything we did and did not do in 2014 lead to a much bigger root rot wreck than just a weather induced event . I should of known better but recommendations for what we did were deemed safe. But we have a short rotation of 3 years , got away with just tagteam , seeded early and sprayed early - that combo was a disaster here. It worked for many years but Mother Nature whacked us hard.
            The take away at the end of the day for me is that if you have peas in a rotation of 4 years or less you most likely have fusarium and or aph root rot spores and need to pay close attention to independent research that the Rack just did.
            Also guys like Klause - they understand plant health far more than any Chem rep will ever understand .
            One other thing we will do is add ligno humate to the ortho phos applied into the seed row. This also stimulates healthy root growth and plant sugars.
            Growing peas cheaply for us is no longer an option unless we push the peas out to an 8 year rotation.
            The only wildcard is if the soil remains saturated and cool after seeding followed by steady rain all bets are off and nothing will help - as many here have said from eastern Sask - if it's mud your screwed regardless .

Comment

As far as heat and authority
              The Racks plot data showed a 5-12 bus increase with authority over heat across all plots at NB , Wilkie and Sonningdale .
              All authority plots were tank mixed with trifuralin and round up .
              All heat plots were just tank mixed with round up
              So can't point to heat or authority directly - it may have been the benifit of the trifuralin on disease pressure - but the same result showed across all plots in all three locations .

Comment

Acres was supposed to be ams but my phone changed it.

We used humanlite I stead of seed treatment... no plant loss at all but our peas sucks this year because of no tain and being seeded in a hilltop

Comment

What form of humalite and at what rate?? Used piles of it drilling and it's dirt cheap by the 20kg bag.

Comment

Just the brown paper bag drilling humanlite I got it from the mud supply place in Kindersley.

1lb to a bu roughly mixed and applied to seed

Comment

Klause, what do you mean by "dung". I have inoculated at 150% most years, do you think it would be a good idea to inoculate at double rate with two different kind of inoculant for example 100% of celtech and 100% of nodulator?

Comment

I think he means "fungicide".

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...