• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intensive pea plot.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intensive pea plot.

Toured the big pea plot again yesterday. 2500 plots, all replicated with different herbicide and fertility. Shows huge differences. Scary to see the effects of certain herbicides on peas even after excellent spray conditions when it was done. Will wait to see yield data to comment further , but some very obvious issues that we seen last year.
    Balanced fertility is key, as well as a shot of micros in with certain herbicides to mitigate the negative effects of certain herbicides.
    IMO yields will range on ave from 25 to 45 plus between different treatments. Yes it is that dramatic of a difference. Interesting on a dry year with only 2.5 in of rain on that site to see the incidence of root rot as well. Low fertility and basic inoculant and herbicide shows the worst levels by far. Virtually zero in the higher end treatments.

So stay away from the saflufenacil? Do you think its contributing to the root rot as well or just stunting/damaging?

Comment

In our area Burnt fields in Spring show the Most positive results vs the seeding into heavy wheat stubble. Fungicide at flowering helped a bit. Root rot is going to be a issue fields never seen peas are ok also. Tillage and burn and never seen peas seem to be best. Just saying a match is cheaper and just as effective vs what we have been taught.

Comment

furrow, was authority used on any plots, if so, any comments you could share? thumbs up or thumbs down???
        Been using it the last couple years, certainly see the benefits re weed control, concerned it may also be effecting my yield potential,,, negatively though. Maybe it's just our wet weather.

Comment

Authority looks good across all plots.
          The best weed control was a mix of round up /authority and liquid treflan applied as a per burn the day after seeding.
          Farma - The Rack will have a full report after harvest. But visually yes with out a doubt on its own.
          Viper was used in all plots with much different effect on pea health depending on fertility and micros added.
          This pea plot will be harvested before the end of Aug.

Comment

I really wish this type of info was available prior to last year - I would not have had a total loss on my peas.
            And yes ap and fus root rot are present in plots but only affected the "weaker" plots.
            S/F - half the plot was worked black with a tandem disk before seeding all with the exact same replications. Fertility still shows huge, and weaker plots are still the same.
            Again the final results will be avail from The Rack later this fall.
            Nothing is cut and dried like you think.

Comment

Thx Furrow
              That Authority Treflan mix would be an expensive touch!
              Wouldn't edge be as good and half the cost?
              Thinking of flax more than peas since flax is so uncompetitive.

Comment

Yup I will be costly , but all economics will be in their report after harvest
                One very interesting thing though is that the levels of root rot drop dramatically were treflan is applied . This has been documentent in Austrailia

Comment

Problem developing merchants are dropping peas below 9 now on harvest pressure!

Comment

They know there is at least 50% of growers who dump peas off combine so why pay more ?
                    They will but it will not be till after harvest is done and contracts filled . Production will not be there

Comment

My peas got authority then in crop centurion this year. They were the healthiest peas I'd ever seen until they ran out of water. Low spots almost four feet tall and have 11 pods 6-9 peas per pod. I had a few canola plants and lamb's quarters sneak through but it looks worse than it is. I also put 40lbs of MESZ with the sees.

Comment

I sees watcha mean - lol
                        Ya most peas shut down a while ago , but ado it's worth the look here . The fertility plots will do 45 and some will do 20-25 with no fertility and group 2 .
                        That combination you did is a very good one on these plots as well

Comment

To be honest - this is some of the most valuable info I have seen in 10 years in crop production - bar none , if you have pulses in your rotation.
                          Very impressed with the work done by the rack on this year - brutal that BASF would not put a dime into this research 👎👎 .
                          Pulse growers should be be funding 50% of this bill as well . Other than westernvickie there today - they have been non existing in this as well.

Comment

what is treflan worth these days.
                            thanks for the info,
                            have used some authority, on lite land
                            with good results, but this year was to dry to learn much.
                            are the plots south of battle ford on the way to wilkie ?

Comment

The Rack has plots at Wilkie, Perdue and the Battlefords.

It was a great tour, and great to have such investigative work by the Rack.

We have used Authority on both peas and flax with excellent results, especially on clevers. Needs rain to activate, so was surprised to see such good results with the very little rain we had this spring.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...