• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peas the one crop that really sucks!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peas the one crop that really sucks!

Just back from a adventure yesterday crop checking and visiting! Wow the one crop that sucks all over Saskatchewan except a few and I mean very few sweet spots really sucks is peas!
    Now getting emails of 8 12 21 and best 29.
    So my questions for this great Sunday is how much did most contract at the 8 and lower level and how much is left to be contracted plus is $9.10 fair price or should the elevators be going to $10.00.
    Because if peas are priced USD the grain companies are making out like bandits at 9.

We contracted zero production in peas and canola .
    Picked up a .80 basis on wheat on Friday for hrsw.
    Peas will be in that 25-35 range here

Comment

Started peas yesterday. Low twenties is my best guess(as far as I'm concerned yield monitors are only "accurate" if the calibration is done with actually weighing whats in the hopper not "estimating"). 20% moisture, some pretty fat bright green ones in the sample, variable maturity at reglone time. Will probably keep going with the way the forecast looks. Aeration. Get them before they go down even more, overall they are picking up quite well with the straight cut. Won't have seeding issues next spring with the Bourg.... clean cut to the ground, no foot long vines pasted to the ground to contend with next spring. Some silver linings if you look for them.

Comment

Best way to cure a trash problem. Drought.
        Nothing forward sold here. Pea harvest 1-2 weeks away for me.

Comment

All I'm saying is haven't seen to many 10 fields on a scale of 1 to 10 but lots of 5 or less in my travels!

Comment

Yup, I agree SF3. Hopefully we see a price increase but first we need to get through harvest and let all the "low hanging fruit" get picked first.

Greens?

Yellows?

Whats in store.

Comment

Was thinking on getting hail adjuster back and show him it did not come back.6 inches now down to 4.Pods there but very short.Pulling out swather with pickup reels for a clean up job.Hate to wreck combine.Have 10 bushel to acre contracted.Let them know shortly after hail there will be a problem as at that time price was a bit lower than contract. They said get what I could and they will work with me.I was ready to pay to get out of it then.Could be interesting.

Comment

I did 10 bu per acre at $8.50 with AOG. But they are Dunn peas and there are very limited numer of buyers. They should be priced against yellow peas with mmaybe a small premium. But so far I haven't seen it.

Comment

I've got a field of peas that almost looks normal. Only 25 acres though. Rest is likely 75% of normal. Sold some for $7.90 in the winter. May sell more for $9.50ish March, 2016. Still feeling the sting of not selling any canola at $535 .

Comment

I did about 12 bpa off the combine the second time they hit $8. Oh well I've sold more peas under 8 than over so I can live with it.

Comment

Crusher, I'm pretty sure patience will get 535 again for canola, maybe more.

Comment

Peas took this year the worst. Even fields with a strong stand suffered from heat blast. I have always felt peas needed to be priced nearer canola to cover the risk: this could be the year that gap in price is narrowed even closed.

It will be an interesting year for yellow peas for sure, greens the tale will be told with harvest quality which my guess: lighter fields mature unevenly affecting quality.

Once fall contracts are filled the bids will need to reflect lower average yields.

Comment

And get this I believe the production estimates were last look using a plus 30 bushel average yield, so production estimates are overly optimistic is my bet.

Comment

I harvested my pea crop ( first time for our operation) on august 4 th. Put in 70 acres and it did around 20 bpa on an average. Not the greatest yield , but we haven't had the greatest growing season either. We had frost in may of -8 degrees , (18F in english!) plus no measureable rain until june 5th. If conditions are right next spring , I will seed them again.

Comment

I would agree with Vicki. Heat shut done 80% of the peas in this area too soon. Some very late seeded peas look better, like potholes lol.
                              Vicki , any word on the peas combined west of Hamlin yesterday ?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...