• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peas and the 2015 Crop.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peas and the 2015 Crop.

Just out driving and noticed one thing this years peas are not really doing to good. Peas don't like heat and that is a for sure.
    I thought I would see some awesome crops on my drive south yesterday and then back to Regina. Ha is what I have to say.
    Thin thin fields of peas. From road they look like a pea field but when you stop and walk in its plant foot plant foot plant foot. Barely tying together.
    Or WTF is that field more than Wow is that a awesome crop.
    So here is my next question how much of this years production will be covered at the 8 or under prices that were around all winter.
    A 10 bushel crop per acre some guys wont be able to cover and that's just 80 a acre.
    One note the east side did drop lots of peas due to years of flooding we are down by close to 50% from other years so the peas that went in the ground are probably on the west side is my thinking and Alberta.
    Just a heads up if you do have peas my guess is they maybe will want them. Not dealing with china on peas but India etc.
    Don't let the grain companies fool you. Watch as they try.
    Trip west coming up end of the month will be interesting drive I think.

By the end if the month you might see combines in the fields doing peas if you are heading west.

Comment

My neighbor drove to Calgary to see his kid. He would have taken the #1. As shitty as the crop is here he said it was worse further west.

Were you looking at my pea crop SF3? You pretty much described it perfectly. If those short ****ers get pasted to the ground by a hard pounding "untimely" rain I will have a slow painful harvest. There is no disease in them though but afew(very few) aphids.

Comment

I'll post pics later peas turning yellow all done flowering all padded 2 to 3 pods 2 to 3 peas each not much higher than a Pepsi can.

Comment

Klause

I don't remember sending you pictures of my crop. How can you describe it so well.

Lol.

Comment

Peas are poor here in S AB. There will be combines starting peas the end of next week. Yeilds will be 5-30 bu/ac. The real wild card is if India gets a good pulse harvest then pea supplies will be adequate with the poor crop. If they don't then there could be fireworks.

Comment

Yesterday the best I seen yet was the Cargill Agronomy truck parked on the road and the agronomist out with a sweep net in a canola field that barely will justify harvesting(that is a bit of a stretch but you get the picture?). At least they are doing their job, its what they were paid to do and at least knowing what's there can't hurt... fire up the sprayer!

Comment

About four years ago I met a farmer at his yard. He had just disengaged with a Cargil agronomist doing canola sweeps, I don't recall which worm but it could eat up to a bushel per acre a day in yield potential. It was very important to spray insecticide or he would lose the entire crop in a month. He had $250.00/acre invested in the crop and had to protect his investment. He immediately went to buy the insecticide because there was going to be a shortage. End result is he did get a good crop out of it. I suspect the same presentation is being made. The threat of yield loss and the shortage of product. Cha Ching! Thank you Mr. farmer you have saved half a crop, you are a good farmer. The world will not starve now.
                Do your own sweeps, calculate your own thresholds, make your own purchase decisions, it's your farm.

Comment

Agronomists/Agrologists will be the first ones cut from a farm if things tighten up IMO. I have never had one and dont plan on it. I run a fair sized farm and look after everything on my own, dont need someone telling me what to do for x number dollars/ac. I know of guys that rely on these people and their farms are no better than mine.
                  But each to his own!!

Comment

What surprises me is the guys who farmed their whole life that use them. I realize things have changed and another UNBIASED "opinion" can't hurt. There is also tonnes of extension services and material out there to use for free.

Comment

Most pulses around here didn't nodulate. In fact with the exception of one field I have not seen any nodulation.

Comment

Basically I think the pea crop is half last years or worse! What wild others guess!
                        Oh right shhhhgh all is good nothing to see move along!

Comment

Peas flowered for three days. Pods with 3 peas.

Half a crop more like a quarter of a crop here.

Guys here would have done better putting lentils on their pivots and saved the effort of trying to water a canola crop to 35 bpa.

Comment

Still trying to flower here but id say 1/3 normal at best.

I get good return on the $1.40/ac I spend on soil testing and analysis. A little scouting thrown in.
                            Agree full service crop "experts" too expensive. Outsourcing a professional with a scoence degree is far different than paying a salesman to make your decisions.

Comment

Bigzee your right on with that statement. Mentioned 3 weeks ago to an agrologist I use on a few acres that his service would be first cut if crop is shitty (which it will be). Ahhh of course he tried to justify his services to which I pretty much laughed. Don't need them at all in my opinion. Google it and make your own decisions

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...