• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many Peas and Lentils are actually going to get seeded?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many Peas and Lentils are actually going to get seeded?

Ok this spring is the best we have seen in years. Ok maybe the last 10. Its mid April and drills were rolling last week in Southern Alberta and Sw Sask This week those areas should be full speed ahead and the seeding line moves east and north.
    Our area still has frost at the 1 to 2 ft level and water is still sitting so heading out to say your seeding is pointless. No one is going. First guy tried to heavy harrow late last night. It was harrowed I guess.
    But here is my point Lentil prices for fall are awesome and peas if you did early are at a usual price where profit is their.
    So with fertilizer where its at and some of the shipping and grade problems that the last two years have delt farmers are the acres of these two crops going to go up dramatically.
    Yes last year pea crop was a shit show do to cold and wet and disease and every thing you could imagine. But when we use to have our peas in by May 1 it was always a decent year. Lentils yes we had up to 1200 acres at one time and enjoyed growing them till the floods started. Still to wet to see lots of acreage here but peas will be up.
    So if our area is increasing peas and lentils are increasing in Traditional area how many acres of Canola or Wheat or what ever are they replacing. My thought is Canola. Now stats can did their survey in March with rail movements poor and prices were lower on some crops. So when phoned did guys not even look at the pulses.
    Or were they in the plan as early as last fall.
    Time will tell but I think Peas and Lentils will be up by a few acres at the expense of Canola.
    What are others thinking!

Dry field peas
    2012 3,730
    2013 3,285
    2014 3,975

Lentils
    2012 2,515
    2013 2,393
    2014 3,240

Comment

Peas
      10% higher is 4372
      20% higher acreage is 4769
      Lentils
      10% is 3569
      20% higher acreage is 3888

Comment

HRS might be loser here. Even with clubroot.

Comment

My question is how many less soybeans will be planted? Last year big talk was beans now it seems like they have fallen like the doe doe bird.

Comment

And chick peas.

Comment

Chickpeas were once a "cash" crop, only thing it took cash to grow them. Oh well chem companies made gazillions on fungicide, so someone benefited.

Comment

Lots of lentils in SE AB. Lentils are kicking peas out of the rotation here. Acres are still going up overall because there is still land going into production for the first time and irrigation added to new land around here. Seeding is getting close to 50% I think pea acres will be up some what in east central AB pushing aside some spring wheat but acres overall going up with hay and pasture land going into production. If India gets a good winter season pulse crop this upcoming winter look out for $5 peas.

Comment

There is going to be a sea of red lentils and yellow peas me thinks.

Comment

There might be big acers. But disease will keep prices in check.

Comment

On Soy I am afraid in Sask I think the Experiment is over for a while. We will be down to two test plots of 40 to 80 acres that's it from the two quarters last year.
                      On Chickpeas every one made out like a bandit so grew years back and well lets say it was a life lesson 204.
                      Not good results.
                      Wheat will be down but Durum up.
                      Canola is taking it on the chin from lentil pea and Flax and Faba Bean.
                      Faba is the new yea crop.

Comment

Big zee, a smaller farmer South of Swift told me that he cashed a one million dollar check, first time ever from chickpeas last year. I think if it stays dry, and can be seeded early, this is the year for a stab at that cheque.

Comment

Especially in your area BigZee. Maybe we should have a contest? One section each?

Comment

No thx Sumdum I said never again 11 yrs ago. Oh forgot I grew them again 2 yrs ago so I can say never again, again. LOL

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...