• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yellow Peas!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yellow Peas!

Seems India has a water problem and its wiped out 25% of the yellow peas. Got me thinking. Then the same service said another similar storm which is stronger is going to arrive in another day.
    So we all know peas hate wet feet. Maybe their is a positive in the farming world. We still have to grow them but maybe just maybe a positive.
    So any one who is looking for fall prices for peas maybe all below $8 should be pulled and replace orders at $8.25 or $8.50 for new crop. Someone's going to need them that's for sure.
    Ah farming!

Weber said that peas will be swept out by June and holding them might be a problem because the graincos wouldn't be able to put a train together. Makes sense.

That was before these storms.

He did speak about the problems in India.

And I think India could buy our entire crop in 2015 big or not.

But can we move it?

Comment

At the regional pulse meetings, sounds Chuck Penner was singing from the same hymn book as Weber, with an excellent presentation. We grow greens, he was talking carry over and zero yellows left. Watch those "specials" and price.

Comment

My point guys put in orders for fall price. Yes I hate them but with really No futures its one way to say what you'll grow them for. Pull any that haven't been picked under $8 were in a great big new world.

Comment

Sitting on 12000 bu of #2 yellows. Probably let them go soon. 8.50 or bust. Plus 8 dollar new crop. My pea acres going way up

Comment

Way to go Klause. I hate peas. Klause, would you share your marketing thoughts for new crop peas?

Comment

Yours and many others

Comment

Here are my 2015 crop picks and why.

1. Peas we are out. And they will move. Can save on inputs. Preble and preharvest that's it.

2. Red lentils - shortage see above.

3. Durum . Buyers will take quality 3 or better. No way it can be a bust 2 years running on quality.

4. Flax - just to snub the canola seed sales.

Zero sense in growing wheat for me.

My picks 1, 3, 4. I don't have any red lentil seed.

And maybe mustard for the same reasons as flax.

Comment

Were Easy, this is now.

Peas
                  Oats
                  Barley
                  Canola
                  Very little Wheat.
                  Simple.

Comment

Going to try to keep 1/3 peas in - a little gun shy after last year though .

Comment

Does anyone here think that if there is anougher bump in yellow pea price that green may wake up??
                      They have been sleeping all winter

Comment

When you guys are saying no wheat, is that more specifically Hard Red? What about feed wheat? I haven't seeded it much and not sure on yield potential, and fertilizer requirements. Do you think it is just as poor as hard red?

Comment

My opinion only.

It's all the same shit. If they need wheat they will pay for garbage like a few years ago and like they did with durum last year.

We have quality wheat compared to others.

It's all bullshit. Movement is the problem here.

But it can turn quickly to a short supply.

Comment

If you have a ready feed market, go for it. Here we have a lot of hog barns, and they pay pretty good most of the time. So to me it makes sense. On my farm, CPS red yields a good 10 or 20 bushels more than hrs under the same fertility.

This does not translate everywhere. It seems to hold true though in wet areas. Also in areas like mine with wet falls, it is often hard to get hrs to grade well, and even harder to get protein. The highest protein I ever got was 13.4 or so, using 125 lbs of n. All CPS has to do, is weigh 58 lbs. and have reasonable fuz levels.

So for me, it is a no brainer. Be aware that some of the utility wheats, have a wickedly long growing season, and compounded by weather like mine, it just won't ever mature.

Comment

Thanks for the info freewheat

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...