• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peas straight cut vs swath.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peas straight cut vs swath.

So... swathed peas will maintain their grade while standing will bleach.

Yes? No?

All I know is yellows and what I know this year is ours are staying as 2s and most samples into the elevator are feed if they were cut with all this daily rain.

Ok. Let the discussion begin

*grabs popcorn*

How could u consider peas standing if they are 2 inches off the ground. Those things are a pita in the years when they stand. I wont ever grow them again.

Comment

Seabass

2 inch high peas are often our result after rains knock them down.

A good flex header if set right can skim the ground... Without lifter fingers, and the reel lifts the vines up and pulls them in. We have plenty of rocks, which we flatten down with a land roller. Lifters pop them up so less problems if left in a bucket to be used in down wheat six inches high to reduce straw load on combine. With peas we try to get all the vines and go slower.

Even some of our fabas are knocked down to 12 inches this year, which is easy going for a good working flex header.

We have been using them since the 1970's.

Sanding one foot would really be great!

Comment

I'm hoping 2" off ground isn't as bad as on ground swathed. Doesn't matter...can't get on field anyway. Going straight is plan now.

Comment

Swathing peas is one manner to bring the field to threshing position, in the same manner as a desiccant.

As a quality factor generally the colour is preserved very well with swathing. Some years a swathed field will have much better colour than a desiccated field. This year colour has been good with standing desiccation.

The risks of swathing is mostly wind. However a packed pea swath is quite stable. A standing field, well err lets say a non swathed field to be clear as not all peas are standing, will dry out quicker. But we have had years when swathed fields have stayed out for quite a bit of weather quite decently.

There are folks who swath (yes a small % to those who desiccate) very successfully every year.

I believe it all depends upon the field, the year, the weather the individual choice as swathing for some is indeed a valid option.

Comment

U can have them Tommy. When u get inches of rain this time of year that ground takes forever to dry and is a does nothing but add to the frustration. Even in standing wheat. If swathed at least the sun when it shines can hit the ground and dry it out. 2010 for eg.

Comment

Everything is always near perfect in Wild Rose-Coloured Glasses Country. A big part of one's outlook is attitude.....

Comment

A big part of ones outlook I think also has to do with wealth, and the machinery you can afford. We do not all have the ability to afford the latest and greatest flex heads, grain carts, semis, combines, bells, whistles, etc..

If I had some of the stuff folks talk about, I would downright look forward to harvest and have a good attitude too.

I am happy, don't get me wrong, but those with wealth need to remember we all do not have the options you have. Harvest is a fight for some of us. A joy and a joke for others...

Comment

I sort of think someday swathers will be a dead technology and our grankids will point to the junk pile and say what the heck is that grandpa.

Comment

Like we do with binders and threshing machines, cotton? lol!

Comment

My limited experience tells me I would hate to run my D60 on the ground in a mud bog.
                      Never thought of swathing em with a roller.
                      My hired man from Europe had never seena swather. But I think as long as we are trying to harvest just before winter we will need them around. Fall seeding everything?

Comment

Hmmm klause you have yellow peas. Sometimes I wonder about you. You just straight cut 2 quarters of yellow peas in I dont know how many days it took. So why worry about yellows bleaching they dont where did you get that from? The locals here have greens. They bleach. And one other thing to tell everyone before is you are and did straight cut one quarter south of carmel no nothing to dry it down. Now tell everyone that that field was taken off as soon as possible. I dont care what you say your going around sloughs completely drown out and I seen a sample that had not much green in it obviously picked out. Yellows need straight cutting. Where the hell did you learn that yellows should be swathed. I dont know of any yellow fields swathed around here.

Comment

And another thing your getting 30 dollars per acre back on the viper that did not work. Then the heatdid not work on killing the wild oats and wheat for the pre harvest. All good in theory. Practical doing another story. Swathing may have helped in your this year case. Straight cutting a field where the viper did not work and then the heat pre burn did not work is and was a challenge. Klause people around here were not born yesterday. I am done.

Comment

Hopper,

Just like Klause... we finished and delivered all our 2 quarters of yellow peas. Bleaching is not part of the grading recorded on any of our delivery graded grain receipts. Our Viper herb wasn't perfect on some of the wild oats... but otherwise did a wonderful job. The yield was outstanding... all straight cut.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...