• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peas

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peas

I have never grown peas, but in light of high
    fertilizer prices I am looking to add more nitrogen
    fixing crops to my rotation. So the question is...
    Green or yellow?? Advantages disadvantages or
    each. Marketability and varieties ?

I'm curious as to why you are considering peas. The oil market is strong and I think your area grows some good soybeans.

Comment

We crop 4500 ac. 1500 ac of soys already
      planned. A half section of peas along with 125
      ac of red clover and 1700 of canola. I think I
      have the oil market covered. Lol.

Comment

I would say you've got it. I have little experience with peas so I can't help with that and it's off topic but what varieties of soybeans are you liking for next year?

Comment

I keep a third of my acres in peas. Very good for lowering N costs and breaking the leaf disease cycle. I grow mostly yellows. I have tried greens a few times, tough to get human grade on greens. In 15 years, I have only missed human grades once on yellows. Marketing is as easy as canola, lots of buyers with movement available anytime from harvest until mid June. The only down side is lack of a futures market but you can cover off that with contracts.

Comment

Yellows are 9.41 in ND this morning to bad the
            Canadian boys are a dollar less.
            We usually grow 1200 acres and then follow with
            canola. This year those fields yielded way way
            better than the ones on wheat stubble.

Comment

Nice crop to seed into the following year however they dont like excessive moisture and their harder on equipment. My greens only ran 35 this year at 8.50bu it will be my poorest return this year.

Comment

I agree on moisture they hate excess, two
                quarters just sucked shit.

Comment

The Canadian boys are a dollar less? We really needed to get rid of the CWB a long time ago 'cause now their tactics are contagious.

Comment

Definately yellows are easier to market and almost always go human consumption, and the last couple years pay as well. Typically greens pay a premium and typically it harvested, like swathed and picked up the neighbours will get premium prices for them and the good varieties yield as well. Sask I have planted canola on peas plenty of times and did good on it, just a couple times seemed to be some chemical cary over that damaged the canola.

Comment

I was kinda wondering how long it was gonna take somebody to jump on that "dollar less" comment. Why are the Canadian boys a "dollar less"?

Comment

If you want to straight cut I would go with yellows. If you don't mind swathing you can do well with greens. Knock em down on the green side when they are still heavy and they shouldn't blow. My biggest problem with peas is keeping them standing, but quite often a shot of fungicide will help alot. If you can keep them out of the dirt they aren't that hard on equipment, it's when you are trying to dig them out of the seed rows with the straight cut header and you get a bunch of dirt and stones in with them that machinery starts wearing fast. If you have stone free land I would also consider lentil.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...