• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MP Leon Benoit SPEAKS out on CWB Plebicite!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MP Leon Benoit SPEAKS out on CWB Plebicite!

OTTAWA

07 September 2011

"Letter to the Editor [from MP Leon]

The following is an open letter from Agriculture Minister Gerry Ritz. I fully support the Minister’s statements.

“Canadian farmers feed the world, and they deserve the freedom to make their own business decisions. As I have said from the start, no expensive survey can obstruct Western Canadian grain farmers from having the same rights as farmers in other parts of Canada and around the world.

“This week, the CWB will announce the results of their expensive survey. The Board will say the results give legitimacy to their travelling road show, fear mongering and defeatist approach. The Board will insist that only a percentage, namely the percentage that supports them, have the right to choose how everyone markets their grain. Mr. Oberg will say that without a monopoly to control farmers, the grain industry will shrivel up and cease to exist. Farmers know better.

“Farmers know that both the ballot question and distribution list were seriously flawed. The CWB refuses to recognize that every farmer, regardless of whether they support the monopoly or not, should be able to choose how they market their grain. The Board will fail to remember that even their own survey this spring said that when given the choice between a single desk, dual market, and open market, 58% chose either a dual market or an open market.

“Our Government's top priority is the economy in which the agriculture industry plays a vital role. We know that an open market will attract investment, innovation and value-added jobs. Farmers can be confident that our Government will continue to work with the entire value chain to ensure a smooth transition to Western Canadian grain marketing freedom.”

Agriculture Minister Gerry Ritz

I want to also add what I feel is the single most important reason to end the CWB monopoly – namely that farmers who spend all of the money and do all of the work to produce their crops must have the basic right to market it as they choose. Those who want the Canadian Wheat Board can still choose that option if they wish.

Leon Benoit, MP"

I agree with Mr Benoit.

Comment

Benoit has been against the CWB for a coon's age. WHO cares what he lips off at? His endorsement of Ritz is totally expected...they're like two peas in a pod.

Comment

Getting scary now hey willie! Just think in a few short weeks legislation will come down, get voted on, approved that will make guys like you? have to think for just a few seconds what to do with this years crop.

I know it is scary and intimidating, but I am sure there will be support groups popping up to help those that will need some help transitioning to the freedom of choice market.

Comment

A good re-organization of the CWB would have done more good than setting things up for its demise. A farmer controlled central selling agency makes more sense and gives the farmer more control than a free-for-all open market system where the producer has NO control whatsoever other than the ability to not sell any product than he produces.

Even the compulsory aspect of the CWB regarding wheat and barley could have been modified or abolished to allow for withdrawal from the system. It would have made it possible to not PARTICIPATE in any benefit derived from central pooling...in other words, an opt-out.

Rather than "fix" the present system our government has chosen to dismantle the CWB...very short-sighted IMHO.

Comment

Wilagro,

In my estimation the 'Ships' were the 'straw that broke the camels back'.

Chairman Oberg directly broke the request by Minister Ritz to leave grain growers pool money alone.

SO this should come as no surprise to anyone; as CWB Chairman Oberg stumbles around like a BULL in a China SHop!

Had a little CWB compromise and planning been applied... this could have been done differently!

Comment

Wilagro
              It is the Chairman and his single desk only CWB ideology that is going to sink the CWB. They could have taken and made a sucessful pooling organization but chose a reckless strategy that will take that option away from those that would want to use it.

Comment

Willago:
                "Even the compulsory aspect of the CWB
                regarding wheat and barley could have
                been modified or abolished to allow for
                withdrawal from the system. It would
                have made it possible to not PARTICIPATE
                in any benefit derived from central
                pooling...in other words, an opt-out."

We have been asking for an opt for for
                15 ****ing years. If the almighty CWB
                was willing to do that it would be
                implemented by now.

And if they were willing to do it now
                that would have been a way better option
                that this stupid plebiscite wasting more
                time and money.

The CWB has been ignoring choice for
                years, telling us to grow something else
                or go pound sand.

They made this choice and they have to
                live (or die) with it. If they want to
                screw around they can file a court
                challenge but I think there will be a
                huge backlash and border runs will
                ensue. They may find a sympathetic
                judge for now but do you really think
                anybody will be prosecuted for
                challenging the border when the majority
                elected government wants to kill it?

The CWB is screwed

Comment

Well why didnt Leon speak out sooner. Surely the cwb directors would have cancelled the vote for sure.The great one Leon has spoken

Comment

Katoe,

MP Leon... and the whole Conservative Party of Canada... VOTED this policy into effect... in 2005 IN MONTREAL.

You obviously were not listening!

Democracy at work!!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...