• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I buy a semi and trailer for grain hauling?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I buy a semi and trailer for grain hauling?

What do you fellows think and do...

Thinking of buying a semi and trailer to haul some grain out of the field and to our local elevators (50-100 kms away).

I would be making approximately 100 trips to the elevator a year.

Obviously i am looking for something used .......in the $30,000- $35,000 range for the truck?

Any recommendations on minimum HP I would want to have or need to have? Does anyone have any thoughts on one particular manufacturer or another? Any other features that I should look for?

What about trailer advice?

Not an expert on types but do NOT buy a trailer that ever had hauled fertilizer even once in it's life time.

Comment

I take it your looking for a tandem trailer? My advice is does not matter what type of trailer but 03 approx. or newer would be advisable , better built. Look for the safety inspection as could save you thousands on brake work, nothing worse than ruining new tires because of poor stuck brake parts. Good idea to get the safety done anyway for yourself. Inspection is only a hundred bucks or a little more and well worth it. A reputable place will tell you what you need to fix.
      Look for a local tractor one that has had some engine work done on it, you will not wear the tractor out of course but you also do not want problems so there are some out there in the under 15000 price range that have had 20000 dollar engine jobs done on them. If you consider hopper augers then there are also some out there with high capacity pumps no need to add later. I do like my 88 mack, windows roll nicer, doors close with a click, and one thing the 350 mack used half the fuel of the Kenworth 425 cat pulling the same trailer, but the cat does have plenty of power not neccessary for the tandem trailers.

Comment

Brand new tandem trailers are between 36 and 40K. It is always hard to find a good used trailer. it is nice to have L.E.D. lights less battery consumption at night and no replacing bulbs. a truck with an 18 speed is a lot nicer in the field. half the time when you have custom hauling done you are there to start the auger, move bins, ect. you might as well haul it too.

Comment

My gut says you can make a pretty easy economic case to haul your own grain but remember the time aspect - hauling 100 loads will take a big chunk of time and that needs to be factored in.

Comment

You will never regret it. Put your money in the trailer, go new or next to it. The best part of tractor/trailer combo is just that your not married to the truck, like when you box it. Eighteen speeds are the best, but a thirteen with 400 hp will yard a tandem trailer out of the field just fine.

Comment

Thanks guys for the ideas...is there a good website for seeing a pricing a used trucks and trailers...might be a good time to buy with the US exchange rate.

Comment

I was in your same situation last year.I ended up buying a used 9300i IH with a cummins,13spd-never regtretted that choice one bit.Would I liked to have a Pete or KW sure but another 10k didn't seem to justify that.If you have kids or land away from home I would strongly suggest a sleeper.The trailer was harder to find.As mentioned good used are like hens teeth and sell for close to new!! Under 40k I had a new Wilson alum. tandem.Cost wise per bushell a tridem is certainly a better choice but more $$ up front.That was the one decision I regret-should have bought a tridem.But pay attention to your approaches-make sure a tridem will fit.If you are hauling a 100m a tandem would not cost effective-thats even somewhat too far for a tridem.Ag hoppers are a definate must and buying out of province can be a pain due to different regulations.Buy it safetied in your province (assuming you are from Can.)A semi at seeding and harvest cannot have a value put on it.Good luck!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...