• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Small plot Combine Harvestors

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small plot Combine Harvestors

Hello!

Well I'm green as rye grass to crop farming, but I'm hoping to return to Canada in a couple of years and try what I've always wanted to do. I want to establish sort of a test farm in the southern Labrador coastal area. The Climate is more moderate, but the useable land comes in chunks and pieces. I can certainly get by with my small poultry, rabbit and fruit tree operations just fine, but feed is a problem, as it is in the rest of Labrador. So I hope to learn and experiment with crops useful for cereal and forage feeds to round out the operation. Just looking I take it the Combine is a critical choice to saving the harvests sometimes. But I also note most of the Combines are huge! I saw the Claas Median 310 and it seems ideal, although I don't see any being sold here. The Lexions are clearly awfully expensive to someone already looking at shopping for bulldozers and rockpickers and Tractors and seeders-lol So I'm hoping you expericed sages can tell me if a small,agile and versatile combine exists. I'd even thought pull behind, but I do not think that would work in the verticallly sloping, creek filled, odd shaped Labrador land plots. Well any info would be most welcome. I've already learned much just reading in a few minutes.......

Sounds to me like you need a combine that is pre 1970's. Maybe a 410 Massey,or smaller yet would be the 300 Massey. There are some still being used here and there in Western Canada, probably more in the ranching areas where they aren't farming big. There are probably a good number in the fence corner. Stick a "wanted" ad in some ag publications and see what comes out of the woodwork. The odd person may still have something in a shed. I would bet a good number of these combines have been wrecked as there are not many takers. John Deere, IHC, Cockshutt, and Gleaner all made smaller combines back the also. If you don't mind mechanicing you should do okay. We are still able to buy some stuff for MF 300's which are practically 45 years old. Good luck.

Comment

Another option for looking for smaller older combines also in that area is PEI alot of the potato farmers have small machins some older models too that they use when they rotate barley in their fields.

Comment

........Wonderful information guys, thanks. I'll definitely will look into them. Looking down in PEI sound very promising too. It would be nice to find something that close to Labrador.....

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...