• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

air seeder spacing

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

air seeder spacing

what is the best spacing? We have 12" spacing on our flexi coil 5000. I have been reading in the papers that I am losing a lot of yield not having a narrower spacing, what does everyonelse think?

There is some conflicting research on that. It appears that rainfall also plays a role. If you are in a little dryer area, depending upon the spread of your openers, you might not be losing any yield at all. Under irrigation, you would likely want a little better SBU (seed bed utilization). For the most part though, most of the research I've seen indicates that there isn't too much yield reduction, if any at all up, to about 10 inches. If you have boots that spread at least a couple of inches and you are dryland, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Comment

Just because that "research" made it to lots of papers doesn't mean it is any good. The truth behind thatwas that too much fertilizer was seed placed when they widened the rows - it was single shoot.

there is as much research showing wider is better as there is the other way. Just don't over apply the seed placed fert.

From what I've seen this year the 12" machines went through heavy residue a lot easier - something they don't talk about in their papers. Plus you have to replace a lot less openers and you burn less fuel.

Comment

That may be true, which is why probably why the research is conflicting. Research in scientific journals should be adequately controlled to make sure factors such as seed burn don't affect the results. You are quite right about burning less fuel and having less plugging though. I had a 9 inch shank machine here that was constantly plugging in heavy straw residues.

You have to consider the length of time it takes to canopy in though, a wider spacing will increase that time. In irrigation and higher rainfall areas, that gives weeds that much more time to establish themselves in competition with your crop.

Comment

Youa re exactky correct - if it was in a journal it would be screened. But the writers of that "research" don't publish in a journal because it would never pass a peer review, because of stuff like seed burn.

They do randomized designs and call it research. They post it on a govt website and then pay a compant to send out press release after press release.

Research - not really.

Demonstration - only of what can happen when the media prints whatever anyone sends them.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...