• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GPS systems

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

T don't think the drive wheel will slip, unless maybe your steering wheel is really greased up, or hard to turn for some reason. We had a EZ-Steer demo here, and about 20 farmers drove it. I didn't hear anyone being concerned about the unit getting in they way when turning on headlands with the tractor we had it on. It may be different in some tractors or combines.

Comment

Hi all,

From what I am seeing so far there is no problem with slip on the EZ Steer drive wheel. One may have to watch older vehicles with very heavy steering, but most will be fine. As far as interfering with "palm steering" on headlands-- its negligable. Yes, it's there, but your hand rolls over the drive wheel as it is turning the same direction your hand is going. Excellent option to anything else out there as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

Lots of good comments. Our experience indicates that you have to understand what's important to your operation and the direction you are heading. For example I would not buy a lightbar without an easy upgradable path to auto steer. We went with the Sitewinder as our first purchase and have not regretted that decision. The ability to easily farm irregular shaped fields , ability to spray after dark and the record keeping capability place this unit much above a lightbar.This unit has come down considerably in price since they went farmer direct. One downside is it's input recording capabilities. This unit was designed for custom sprayers. Other things to keep in mind. If you move to autosteer you need to understand the extra costs involved to equip different equipment with steering controls. That's the beauty of ezSteer. If you are thinking about moving to variable rate and suscription mapping down the road then you want to check out somebody like KEE. Determine your priorities and check out the market.

Comment

Zynx - I bought a Zynx last spring and put it in my home built sprayer. With suspended 140' booms I didn't want to put foam markers on because I likely couldn't see the end. Since we needed a rate controler and guidance we thought the Zynx was the best option. We bought the automatic boom sectioning so that I never have to flip a switch. It will control 6 different booms and works great on pie shaped fields to reduce overlap and operator stress. The only miss I saw in my field this year was one I knew I made because it was shown on the map. Maybe we had beginners luck but it worked great. I have looked at the Terradox one and think it looks very good as well. I'd suggest to go with mapping no matter what (unless your fields are perfect)

Comment

Could someone explain the "value" of mapping capabilities to me. I don't want the sales pitch just how will it make money for my farm.

Comment

Mapping value can be argued, but I am a fan myself. First of all you'll prove up your acres and you'll see that your farm on average will shrink about 5% using GPS measurements. Now you can take those numbers to crop insurance ( if you take it)and hopefully you can take those maps and show them that your premiums should decrease by that %. With that your average yield should go up about the same, again a net benifit to bring up your inusrance margins.
              I also find I am using apx. 1-2% less chemical when spraying by being able to kill the spray switch at the right time on the headlands.
              Everyone will be different and this may not apply to you, but that is what I am finding on my farm. The thing to remember it is only a tool, not a silver bullet. If you don't apply it with a purpose in mind it could end up being "cool toy".

Comment

Mapping might not put money in your pocket but it sure is nice for visualizing where you already went. It will point out any misses as well and if you ever have to spray around a slough or a field in more than one direction it sure beats a light bar. You don't need foam or any other kind of marker either.

Comment

To follow up on the mapping.Since we have never used a lightbar we don't know how it compares but this is the tools we have used. First we always know what has been done and what is left to do( acreage counts) If you switch operators or get shut down you can visually see to return to where you left off. You can move to different parts of the field without fear of missing something. You might move to a dryer part of the field if there are wet areas or you might do the hilly sections first in the morning before the wind picks up. You can save borders, sloughs, hazards etc. and bring up those layers before you start the field. We can grid the field ( place a series of lines across the field) and then use this as a way to make replicated plots. Example do 4 passes at one seeding rate go over 8 do another four then over 8 and do another 4. Then stop the drill adjust your rate and repeat filling in the passes. You end up with equal space replicated plots. The ability to do jobs as layers has benefits. We have sprayed wildoat areas with a tank mix of wildoat and broadleaf spray. Later we can bring up that layer and then finish the field with just a broadleaf spray as what we have done is already colored. marking rocks etc is easy and returning to those areas equally easy to find. Finally mapping allows us to record the date and time of application. This is useful when dealing with herbicide claims, crop insurance reports or just regular record keeping. This data is easily transferred to the office computer. Hope this helps with your question.

Comment

Hi zep,

First, do not do anything speedy!! Make a goal plan and talk to others. I tried the Trimple system for guiding last year, but went to JD GreenStar.

I allready had the GreenStar Yield Monitor on my JD 9600 and transfer the Reciver and Monitor between three tractors, two JD's 7810 and 6420 and one Case 4690. The 7810 and 4690 will get a aftermarket outsteer next winter. The 6420 pulls my home build sprayer, linked with the Raven Rate Controler
                    See http://www.klempnauer.ab.ca/Mintill-eng.html

The light bar was to exhausting and if you have done one season you will know, that the logical route is to go auto steer, elsewise it is all meaningless. That's my opinion. Again do some research before you spend you bucks.

Comment

Why spend $6000 on a JD receiver wiring cost when you can buy a complete autosteer system for $8500.00 from trimble. If you believe the JD system is better you obviously have a good JD salesman and have not talked to the Trimble sales team.

Comment

I have put 100 hours on a Trimble auto steer system this spring. It's ok but i question if I'll have a steering colum left after the year. It "jerks" the wheel around quite agresively. We have tried to change the settings.
                        If 10 was a perfect system...I'd rate this one a 8.5 so far.
                        I have also lost 3% of my acres due to reduced overlap. Now I have to go buy more land and what's that going to cost me???

Comment

Hi Kenzie,

You need to talk to your EZ steer salesman and have him give you some suggestions on setting things better. ( I don't suppose you bought it from CASE?)
                          Anyhow-- mine is working very well, I must say I am impressed. Just like any unit though, there is a little patience required to fine tune it. Once you've found your setting you can't feel it making adjustments on a straight line. It shouldn't be "jerking' the tractor.
                          Good luck with the spring season.

Comment

Thanks Claust. I did not buy it from CASE and will contact the dealer. I also lost satelite 2x today.

Comment

Just want to comment on the losing satelite thing. Seems to be a problem from about Red Deer south. Not only in Alberta. Not sure what is going on.

Comment

Loosing the satelite realy sucks!!! don't know If I trust it for spraying. I can live with it at seeding so far.
                                I changed my settings a bit today and things smoothed out.
                                Angle to 28 from 26
                                Free play to 0 from 3
                                I lowered the agression to 85% but soon took it back to 95%

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...