• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bourgault Liquid Sidebanders

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bourgault Liquid Sidebanders

Is anyone out there using the Bourgault Liquid Sidebanders? How do they work? How much nitrogin are you putting down with the seed? Any seed burning problems? How fast are you seeding at?

Are you sure Randy? We once had an old Gally cow that bit the vet on the shoulder when he was pregchecking the cow in front. Good luck with your sale!

Comment

I know I'm reading this wrong, but what was he doing preg checking her from the front for!

Comment

The biter was the next in line waiting her turn to be checked. She stuck her head over a gate and caught his shoulder as he checked the one in the squeeze.

Comment

We've been using those openers for 4 crops and couldn't be any happier.Put down 80-100pds n and haven't seen any evidence of seed burn.We typically seed at 4.5-5 mph.They are also a very long lasting opener.

Comment

I knew an old vet that said "you can tell by the look in her eye"

Comment

That's interesting. I had a cow try to bite me once to and she was a Galloway x Hereford. She was a little high strung anyway and we had her in the chute trying to tag her and she snapped at me. Just missed my hand. Never seen anything like it before.

Comment

Randy will be cursing me now turning a thread into how wild Galloways are. We had Galloways for a long time and if you once work with them they are one of the quietest, level headed breeds you will find. I think as a rule wild cattle are a result of ignorant handling rather than breed.

Comment

I don't think overall thay have a bad temperament. I got half a dozen pairs from the Horvey's about five years back. I liked the black ones but I found the calves off the white ones really got docked at market. Of the original six, I have one left. One got hit by lightning, One came in open and ended up in a friend's freezer and the three white ones, I swapped to a guy for some black angus. I wish him good luck. The one black one I have left is a real good cow and has a nice calf every year.

Comment

Good conversation boys but has anyone taken a look at my durn bulls?

Comment

Actually, I like the way your Welsh Blacks look. Can't fit them into my program right now but maybe in a few years. Do the calves have that much hair or does crossing them get rid of alot of it. Seems buyers out here will dock you for any little thing. My past experience with the Galloways has shown me that.

Comment

Very nice set of bulls Randy. My picks are Lots 7, 8, 16 & 31. But, still loaded with more bull power then I need and the Herefords seem to be making a slow and steady comeback in our area, so maybe another year. :P

Comment

SASH - About the hair thing. I own Galloway and Welsh Blacks because I', darn well jealous. Lost most of mine in my 30's

As far as the cattle - Both breeds have been promoted for their hardiness and do-ability for years. Seems we have attracted folks with minimal input on their minds. Thus when time come to sell calves some look a little rough. Feed these cattle as well as the continental folks do and you will find the hair a benefit rather than a detraction in the sale ring.

Sell them when they look good. was a motto I lived by up until our marketing plan kicked in. Still works for the purebred stock, mind you.

I would lastly say that crossbreeding does take some hair off, especially with continental breeds like Limousin, Gelbvieh, Tarentais, Charlais, etc.

Comment

dutch "Wart" openers are also good

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...