• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Agco's The King of The Hill Again

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i dunno.....looks awesome but this make me nervous:

“The Dual Helix threshing system uses low pressure rotors which are designed to allow maximum space around each rotor for the straw to expand and release grain,” says Adam Sherriff, Market Development Manager, Massey Ferguson Harvesting. “The length of travel and the fact that the straw falls by gravity directly into the chopper really keeps the power requirement to a minimum by not breaking up the straw”

Sounds like some engiNERDS maybe were overthinking this one....they got 675hp....why not use it!!

I dont want to have to pull out the ole gleaner when it comes time to smash some heads in tough threshing wheat.

Comment

Oliver , no , even Agco themselves did not know at the time . The sales guys did what they could after the fact but had no clue before hand on the issues that would arise from all 6 they sold .
      It was not until we and others hit the field . Ended up being R and D test dumbies for Agco that fall . Actually everyone that had them that fall .
      I think even Agco was taken by surprise the problems that occurred.
      Anyway , once all the issues were addressed I am sure they work fine .
      I loved the engine , the smooth power , their V cool rad system is awesome . Never had to blow the rad or air filter on 250 hrs . Crop feeding was 100 x better that the Gleaners. Reversible rotors were nice Cabs were nice . A lot of very good features .
      All the updates were not even wrote up until after that first year they hit the field .... meaning after those of us that had them ran them for the first fall .
      Anyway , Agco has addressed those issues from what I hear . There are guys with 9540 and 9560's with all updates who are very happy with them now . I am sure Case ,Deer and others have their issues with first year models as well at times .
      Don't want to derail this post and bash
      on Agco at all . Not the point .
      This new line of combines may well be field ready and perform excellent, I hope for Agco they do 👍.
      End of the day regardless if you bleed green or red , case and Deer combines are designed for corn and soybean and retro fitted for our crops - small grains here in western Canada .
      Those European style combines are actually designed from the ground up for small grains, and tough straw conditions.
      Actually only the original TR New Hollands were designed in western Canada for our crops here as far as rotories go .
      I know when you put a Case, Deer, and New Holland in a field of canola together at the same time what happens .... we did it after the Massey episode .
      The New Holland was heads and shoulders above everything . That included our one Massey and a Gleaner at the time .
      It all come down to the sieve capacity and cleaning area performance . That's where Lexion has them all beat , hands down .
      This new Massey may well be the real deal , time will tell . We all will know in about two years .

Comment

the first two years of the CIH 8010 were a nightmare . updates for years . almost killed the flagship before it got going .

Comment

I can imagine what the price of this mammoth thing will be. By buying the biggest one, in the end I think all we'll be doing is continuing to buy into the idea that bigger and newer is always better. .....and then have the nerve to complain about the price of equipment.

Comment

Word was locally, a few weeks ago, that neighbor is buying a 3rd combine to go with his 2 Lexions. All I heard was the price of the new unit - $800k.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
              If they were smart , but that's debatable, they would head to the Area west of the Battleford's through Lloyd and keep heading west after that . There are some big crops in that area . Would be a great test. It will be tough slugging in heavy straw , also big canola crops. That is where this thing should be put to the test.
              Just drove that area yesterday, you are right and alot still out. Should be able to run for at least a month yet if weather holds.

Comment

They are making 3 sizes I believe . Very few will have a fit for the big one .
                The big one will have a potential fit on larger farms if it performs. Replace 3 with 2 , or 10 for 7 kinda thing . It's been happening already with the 780 Lexion . It can and is replacing extra machines and man power on some larger farms . Two of these big machines with headers will cost less than 3 Deers or three Cases with headers guaranteed.
                There will be a fit for the biggest one , but obviously not on every farm .
                I was kinda surprised how many acres we did per day at times with the 9240 and 45 ft head . Averaged over 200 ac / day in wheat and peas . Did a few 250 ac days .
                Canola was obviously not in those numbers when you combine at minimum losses and 35 ft swaths .
                Single rotor combines have definitely reached their peak about class 8 in canola . They are just not designed with enough sieve area for canola . Even leafy hrsw like Brandon I was limited to sieve loss not ever power.
                If I had a farm with 3 or more combines , some have 10-15 , you would have to consider that Massey if you had a decent dealership close by. Man power is the single biggest issue on most farms , especially most of the large farms .

Comment

I learnt enough swear words as a 4 year old in a 750. I think I'll regain from ever going there. Never saw dad so mad as when he was fixing his 750. Never got that mad when he was tanning my ass......

Comment

With any combine the dealer support is key. I wouldn't buy any implement without a nearby dealer.

Comment

New Agco combines

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post
                      Good to know, sounds like some bad customer management by a salesman too if they didn't ensure the updates were done for a customer. I prefer to buy older machinery at auctions where there is a full farm dispersal lineup so likely not an issue for us.
                      Good point Oliver 88. Between my Dad and I we owned 5 Agco Gleaners over the years. Dad bought a used R60 and then a new R 65 two years latter . Over the years when we had a dealership I owned 3. R 65 Gleaners ( 2 with Deutz twin turbo V8s and 1 with the 8.3 l Cummins) The 8.3 was a disappointment for horse power, while the Deutz power was just great. Our dealer was excellent to us. The big problem with the Gleaner was they had more power than iron to hold it together! Fixing them seemed to be all too frequent . The capacity and the hopper job was the best you could get. Accelerator rollers and huge fan power really did the trick, especially in flax and canola. We loved that part of the machine, just didn't enjoy the frequent breakdowns. I have since gone yellow to New Holland combines . I first bought a CR 960 which paid for itself doing custom combining when mine was done and now own a used Cr 8090. I have had very good success with both of thes machines. Not as easy to set as the Gleaner but once you figure out what makes them tick they are a beautiful, quiet, comfortable machine to own and operate! A fantastic , close by dealership ( AE Bourassa) in Weyburn, Sask sure doesn't hurt either!

Comment

Macdon02. That was funny. The 750s were fine machines for their day but it sure was challenging trying to wear them out.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...