• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mercedes Diesel Engines

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mercedes Diesel Engines

Any input about Mercedes engines in Western Star trucks? OK to buy or run?
    Thanks.

I'm not too familiar with Mercedes but can I assume this will be way more expensive to rebuild compared to a Detroit 60 series or other US engines?

Comment

Have a 2003 Sterling with 460 hp MBE 4000, 425000 km, one head gasket, has 6 heads, thermostats, Alternator, lots of power for tandem.

Comment

Likely ģood but i know what you mean.

Who overhauls? Buy em right and scrap em.

Comment

Blackpowder, good advice. Was wondering what to do with a '97 truck that is very good other than the Cat C-12 that needs to be opened up. Guess it's parked for good

Comment

Wouldn't it be nice if Primary Ag production was lucrative enough that we didn't have to use other people's hand-me-downs when it came to highway tractors. Anything with "reasonable" mileage still fetches a decent buck but the high milers are usually cheap.

Comment

Its a struggle with pride occasionally. Half tons all bought used plane jains. 50k on clock for $20k price.
              Hiway tractors a certain gamble for sure. Old enough and you want to somehow know engines good. History.
              Series 60 for instance.
              My 2 tractors have $20k total in. Should mention luck also. And no longer hauls.

Comment

Last half ton I bought(this fall) was a 2014 with 3300 (yes hundred) kms on it. Regular cab, 4x4, small gas engine, plain as plain can get, crank windows, vinyl floor covering. I wanted something to boot around in that wasn't a heavy deisel.....it's not an ego builder. It's a humble drive but the deal was too good to pass up and it was exactly what I was looking for.... except the crank windows!

The 2500 Ram I have isn't at all fancy either. I found there's quite afew "options" I can live without.

If I was making my living solely with either of them I might think different. But I'm not.

And then there's the Escalade (just kidding tweety...)....I have an Enclave.

Oh...and to stay on topic....I had the option of buying trucks with Mercedes in as well but steered clear....not because I heard they weren't any good, aren't they German engineering? But stayed away for the reason mentioned about parts cost and who to get to service/rebuild them if need be. But maybe any reputable diesel shop would tackle them.
                Last edited by farmaholic; Jan 19, 2017, 21:06.

Comment

I believe a turbo for the Mercedes is around $9000

Comment

About one and a half to two times or so that of a Cummins?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...