• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Straight cutting canola

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Straight cutting canola

We are cutting down canola with 635F Hydroflex John Deere headers. Breaking a lot of table augers fingers.
    Anyone have any suggestions?
    Has anyone tried plastic fingers?

Adjust them to be less aggressive.

Comment

On my list to look at the 635f and see if the feeder drum design is the same on it as the d series because just finished with the 635d side by side with a Fd70 and the deere was nightmare. Our macdon fd 70 35 foot was over a mile an hour faster and no plugs , plan on taking that solid 16 inch non floating drum/ rotating steel wall off the 635d as well as the slip cluch design deere took off the round balers and shove both of them up a certain bodily orifice at deere. If we all go to straight cutting canola there won't be a deere header on one farm around these parts as their design doesn't work on large MOG volume crops.even adjusting the drum augers. Funny we liked the deere better in cereals but on canola and peas the macdon is miles ahead. On the l140p they were closer less straw but on irrigated heavily fertilzed pioneer m34 which I am also never growing again by the way, the deere cost us alot of hours. Though adjusting the fingers back in will help in not breaking them.
      All deere has offered so far as a fix is the 14 inch drum option that I'm sure they'll give all of us for free. Not.
      Last edited by mcfarms; Oct 23, 2016, 06:32.

Comment

Last year straight cutting extremely green, heavy and tough canola I had to remove all the fingers outside of the center on an older Claas header to keep from wrapping. Fed great except in the heat of the day(plus temps) occasionally it would bunch a bit. Might be worth trying without? Also agree with Klaus, set them least agressive position.

Comment

Since straight cut canola was "officially " introduced it seems to me it really hasn't been working out the way it should. I haven't grown any yet, but any stories that I've heard it's not positive. Yes, this yr has been more of a challange, but last yr the hutts swathed their L140, because of bottom growth after a big rain. I'm one who has sold my swather, and won't.
          With the difference in seed from swath to straight you can hire a custom guy to help swath. I swathed all of mine and its in the bin. If I did grow any straight I would have no more than a section.
          Most yrs canola is long in the bin, but straight cut isn't doing the job I think it should. Having to desicate is an option but another added expense.
          I wonder if straight acres will continue to rise? Wounds typically heal after a long winter.

Comment

We do both. Ended up spraying my standing stuff. Probably had more problems with beaver huts in the swaths than the green standing stems. If we had swathed all of ours my swather man would have quit and the swaths would still be in the field. We were straight cutting and drying when the guys with swaths were idle. No right answer. And used a 630F

Comment

Canola cutting was a real challenge this year, but if this weather continues, it will be worth the trouble - me tinx. Has anyone tried Winter Canola? That would probably be the ticket to getting it in the bin early.

Comment

Wouldn't wanna swath canola anymore. Nope.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161003_164207.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	765171

Name:	20161002_132255.jpg
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	765172

Name:	20161002_132248.jpg
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	765173

Name:	20161003_164329.jpg
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	765174

Comment

Straight cut can have a dark side too. But I'M DONE!Click image for larger version

Name:	20161023_145424.jpg
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	765175

Comment

Been there Crusher! Will still swath what I can and straight cut what needs to be. Snows a bitch and if u have any kind of wildlife the standing stuff don't fair too good. Also is handy to have a big dryer.

Comment

I will buy another swather.

FM 3.3 mph were doing that in swath canola thats tough. Most are at 1.5 to 2.5 at best.

Snow makes it flat on the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
                        I will buy another swather.

FM 3.3 mph were doing that in swath canola thats tough. Most are at 1.5 to 2.5 at best.

Snow makes it flat on the ground.
                        You of all people should know not all canola fields are the same SF3.

Look hard at those pictures.
                        Its standing!
                        No lodge what's so ever!
                        And looks thin
                        Either that's a last year picture or it doesn't snow in his world

Crusher's picture is what canola is suppose to look like after snow

Iceman Out

#keeptheswather #buyyourownboat

Comment

Originally posted by iceman View Post
                          You of all people should know not all canola fields are the same SF3.

Look hard at those pictures.
                          Its standing!
                          No lodge what's so ever!
                          And looks thin
                          Either that's a last year picture or it doesn't snow in his world

Crusher's picture is what canola is suppose to look like after snow

Iceman Out

#keeptheswather #buyyourownboat
                          Ummm....

I think you need to look hard.

Those pics are from september. Last pics at bottom is 45H76 clearfield the day before the snow came. We finished that field that day yet. All the canola so far came off 11 to 14.... Dry by no means.

"Looks thin"... ha ha ha. 6 feet tall just about and running almost 50... good for here... rest of ours doesn't look that nice. Most fairly lodged.

We also didn't get the wet snow some areas did. Just dry powder didn't take crop down as bad.

Tested canola at 4. 17%. Another day or two. Oh wait.... it'll rain again tomorrow.

Comment

Swathed all mine at 60% colour change and combined it 7 days later in august at 5.5 mph. It was badly lodged too, but a second older swather is a cheap buy to speed up the job. Standing canola took at least another month.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...