• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swathing question

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swathing question

So, more wet snow yesterday. But wheat still standing not too bad.
    If the snow ever melts.
    Swath it asap so it can winter?
    Maybe thresh frozen if no more snow or colder?
    Or let it stand and flatten overwinter and then burn it in spring? Not enough old timer experience round here. Just guessing like everybody else.

Was thinking the same thing with my parents
    Flax.Searched comodity forum for an answer.Be darn if I asked that question on this forum fall of 2009.Except it was October 23rd.Had 300 acres flax out .Combined dry flax in November that year.

Comment

With my standing flax.Not sure how the word parents got in there?

Comment

I would hold ur horses and and keep the combines warm, fat lady hasn't sung yet....you will get your chance to get it in the bin

Comment

coin flip

Comment

I'd straight cut in spring with lifters. If ground is very saturated or if its on gumbo, you probably should swath prior to winter. I do not like swaths particulary because of all the deer crap that gets into them.

Comment

Regarding the deer poop.....I was going to mention terminal cleaning but with all due respect it will be feed anyway so it wouldn't see a cleaner, right?

Comment

It was a nice day here too. But Western Canada is a big area. There is heat in that sun. With any luck there will be some more sunny days and hopefully a drier air mass(lower humidity) with a breeze to help dry things up.

I wouldn't wait to take what I can. That being said...09 we harvested tough flax in late October and while we were drying ours other people were harvesting theirs dry or near dry in November! Who the **** knows! Just another risk decision based and dependant on unpredictable weather!

Sincerely, best of luck and work safe!

Comment

There is a great invisible WALL between us 200 miles N. Been CLOUDY for 2 weeks, plus the precip. +1 today, COLD and WET. Near ZERO drying yet, WATER in lawn, sump pumps running every few minutes. Enjoy your weather, I am jealous.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...