• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone tried subsoiling ?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something like this to follow sprayer tracks? This was Kevin Elmy's picture in SK. Herd electric powered spinners.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	sprayer seeder.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	765081

Or get it flown on - they do it in the US over corn.

Comment

For the cost of an airplane application, plus the seed, I can burn a lot of fuel subsoiling. I realize there are many other benefits to tillage radish though.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses guys, last year we had very little frost, but with subsoiling I was thinking it might address the compaction from the hundreds of inches of rain we've had starting back in 2010. Every operation across the land seems to leave it's mark, from drill tank, to sprayer, to trucks. Bringing up stone or rock wouldn't be preferred, it might not be just the ones you pull up, but ripping might make others lower down , move up easier in later years. Salinity, which wasn't much of a problem before all this rain over the last 8 yrs., has certainly shown up now, wouldn't want to do anything to cause those spots to spread or grow, total loss of inputs. A few around here had tried the radish plant, seems the results have been unremarkable, maybe cause it just keeps raining.
        Thinking now, I might try just some deep tilling 5-6", with 2" spikes, then heavy harrow after. Likely bring up some extra surface rock, but it wouldn't bother rock lower down. Try something anyway, see what results I get.

Comment

What is the % OM matter of the land you have problems with?

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
            What is the % OM matter of the land you have problems with?
            OM is about negative 5 %. Give or take 5 %...

And this is the long term solution. Mechanical ripping is a desperate last hope attempt. I've been doing everything possible to increase OM instead. And that makes sense drastic difference that lasts. But will take a lifetime to undo th decades of destruction.

Comment

I was actually directing that at Boarderbloke but seriously AF5 what are your OM levels ? around 3%.
              If shortage of OM is the problem I don't see how hauling a ripper around will help.
              Organic matter on my place here is interesting- best quarter was the last cleared from bush (mid 1980s) which is still 7.5%. Stuff that was farmed and hayed alternately is @6%. The "best" quarter (the easiest to farm) is 3.4% because its been farmed continuously. We have real soil issues with it - turns to concrete when it dries out, pools water when its wet. Needs organic matter desperately - we will be grazing corn on it this winter also growing and lightly grazing/largely trampling big crops of sweet clover. I don't think you need mechanical solutions to build OM.

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                I was actually directing that at Boarderbloke but seriously AF5 what are your OM levels ? around 3%.
                If shortage of OM is the problem I don't see how hauling a ripper around will help.
                Organic matter on my place here is interesting- best quarter was the last cleared from bush (mid 1980s) which is still 7.5%. Stuff that was farmed and hayed alternately is @6%. The "best" quarter (the easiest to farm) is 3.4% because its been farmed continuously. We have real soil issues with it - turns to concrete when it dries out, pools water when its wet. Needs organic matter desperately - we will be grazing corn on it this winter also growing and lightly grazing/largely trampling big crops of sweet clover. I don't think you need mechanical solutions to build OM.
                I see the same thing, first cleared land was the first to lose production, Stuff I've broke in recent years is miraculously productive. And I intend to keep it that way, intend to leave a better legacy for the next generations than the previous left us. Can see exactly how old a piece of ground is, by the production on an extreme wet or dry year.

Mechanical solutions is what got us into this problem, will not get us out.

No till, hauling manure from every possible source, returning all straw, quit removing hay perpetually. Keep something growing year around. Hauling peat moss from the swamps. Growing crops with lots of straw, and ground cover. And it is working, even faster and better than I could have hoped.

Comment

Originally posted by boarderbloke View Post
                  Thanks for all the responses guys, last year we had very little frost, but with subsoiling I was thinking it might address the compaction from the hundreds of inches of rain we've had starting back in 2010. Every operation across the land seems to leave it's mark, from drill tank, to sprayer, to trucks. Bringing up stone or rock wouldn't be preferred, it might not be just the ones you pull up, but ripping might make others lower down , move up easier in later years. Salinity, which wasn't much of a problem before all this rain over the last 8 yrs., has certainly shown up now, wouldn't want to do anything to cause those spots to spread or grow, total loss of inputs. A few around here had tried the radish plant, seems the results have been unremarkable, maybe cause it just keeps raining.
                  Thinking now, I might try just some deep tilling 5-6", with 2" spikes, then heavy harrow after. Likely bring up some extra surface rock, but it wouldn't bother rock lower down. Try something anyway, see what results I get.
                  The solution to your salinity issues is product called Salt Out. This product sequesters the sodium and chloride ions from penetrating the root tissues of the plant/grass. It also opens up the ground and encapsulates the water particles
                  Depending on the TDS, the initial application rate is normally 4 gallons per acre. After two monthly applications to significantly reduce the salinity , the maintenance application is only 2 gallons per acre.
                  The product will also assist in reducing your applied irrigation by 20% since it is TeraFlo with the added components that eliminate the salinity. Coating the interior of your irrigation systems(sprinklers,drip, pumps, emitters, etc) keeping anything(salinity, calcium, dirt, residue etc) from sticking to the walls of your irrigation cutting maintenance down to nothing. Temperatures does not affect the product’s performance.Salt Out™ reduces or eliminates salinity stress in plant growth by sequestering sodium and chloride ions from penetrating plant root tissues. These conditions usually occur due to the buildup of salts as a result of fertilizer applications, irrigating with reclaimed, well or pond water, as well as salts deposited by ocean mist.
                  Salt Outâ„¢ coats the plant roots disallowing the uptake of the salts thereby enhancing nutrient uptake resulting in rapid improvement and stabilization of turf color.
                  Salt Outâ„¢ also contains a surfactant to ensure proper soil penetration and even moisture distribution throughout the root zone. It reduces water usage by 20% or greater.

Send me an email for more information
                  Jay Amarillas
                  Director of Marketing
                  Terawet Green Technologies Inc
                  Terawetgreen@gmail.com
                  858-699-0604
                  www.terawet.com

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...