• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swathing Barley Need Advice

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swathing Barley Need Advice

Went out yesterday to open field for custom silage guy. He is about a week and a half behind due to weather. Barley is Copeland probably about 2/3 to 3/4 is flat. My guess is 35 to 40 percent moisture not great for silage. My problem is it is a sob to cut. Ground is very wet. I have an 2009 challenger with a 5200 head and roto shears. In the past I have tried using my McKay stubby lifters to cut down silage but they tend to plug but that was with a 65% moisture crop, is it worth putting them on to try with this riper barley. Just got the swather so I hadn't put the lifters on yet. Any advice appreciated, thanks.

What's the condition of your guards and knife? New knife will get you going I bet.

Comment

Before we started replaced all the bad sections and guards probably should have replaced the knife but it looked pretty good. Ground is so wet crop seems to push and pile instead of cut.

Comment

Hamloc Can you change the angle of your table? adjust your pickup reel .The less pressure that one can have on the header hopefully less pushing will be the result.

Comment

........nothing fixes too tough!

Comment

Move the reel ahead a bit? or change the angle of the table

Comment

I have both hydraulic table tilt and fore and aft. Replaced more knife sections, put on lifters. It is working better today, I think Farma was right just too tough last night. Have tried different table angles and reel position didnt help much. Adjusted cylinders on reel lift arm to put reel closer to knife, that helped some. Biggest difference was sun and wind. Thanks for input.

Comment

Forgot it just fricking showered again won't be able to swath for a while.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...