• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swath or straight?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swath or straight?

I asked in the crop report thread, but do not want to distract from that thread, so I will make a new thread specific to my problem.

I have a pathetic canola crop coming. Like 5 to 10 or less over all, with vast areas of fields completely gone. Best areas, "hill" tops, may do 20 MAX. Do I take it straight and risk some shelling, or swath it and lose half of it due to a tiny swath. It would be easier I think to buzz around with the combine at 8 miles an hour, cutting areas with crop, than swathing and screwing around.

What say y'all? I am crop insurance for certain, so does it really matter? Crop insurance is 11 something a bushel any way.

It is pursuit canola, pre harvest would be simple enough...

TIA.

Its too wet on your land for a combine with singles and a ridgid header. Think you will be swathing it or straight combining on the frost.

Comment

Originally posted by BreadWinner View Post
      Its too wet on your land for a combine with singles and a ridgid header. Think you will be swathing it or straight combining on the frost.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not what I want to hear, tho it could well be the truth.

Thankfully we have been missing the monster rains lately. Only about an inch total this week. And like someone else said, at least this year, you can see where the water is to avoid it. Last year was worse that way.

Comment

Sounds like u should swath or double swath it if your swather will do that.

Comment

Swath.

By the time you straight cut it'll all be on the ground, and on top of that you'll get stuck wayyyy too much.

Comment

Back in 2001 I had a similar situation due to drought ( remember what that is?)
            I had a very poor field which would have blown away if I had swathed it. So I just left it. When I straight combined it much later I got 10 bu per acre of the blackest, plumpest, nicest canola you ever saw. As good or better yield than my "better" crops that year.
            I think if I were you I would consider straight cutting some or all of it. I don't know your situation as far as getting stuck with the heavier header.
            In this and a couple of other experiences I had with straight cutting shelling wasn't an issue.

Comment

Am thinking leaving a 20 bu canola crop drying standing could be a mistake. The plants hit each other and shell out. So maybe swathing the decent areas especially if it is dryer higher ground might be the way to go.
              Then either just leave the very poor areas and get crop insurance to do a yield estimate, or see if it gets dry later and you can run through it straight. If the plants are sparse they don't seem to shell out all that easy. Look for duals for combine while waiting...

Another suggestion anyway.

Comment

If you swath it and it blows .... the ground might be dried up and you can use your straight cut header and go under it to pick it all up.

Not fun but have seen guys do it.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the ideas. Appreciate it.

Comment

As I said above I have had 2 other experiences with straight cutting canola besides the drought.
                    One I left a couple of acres just for an experiment. Went through lots of wind. Never lost a kernel.
                    Two I left some sloughs. Again never lost any to shelling but green stems were a nuisance.
                    I know it depends on the variety. Some shell more than others. Maybe your dealer might have some data on that.
                    The fact is you are below Crop Insurance coverage so you don't have a lot to lose.
                    I would do a little of both.
                    Surely there are guys on this site that have lots of experience with this situation.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...