• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Automatic Transmissions on Semi's

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automatic Transmissions on Semi's

Does anyone have experience with the new auto transmissions in semi's. Wondering how good they will work in the feild pulling a semi trailer and on the road pulling super B's

Our neighbour really likes it in his tandem. However, a Super-B is another notch or two above in terms of power required.

Comment

Did some looking and talking the fall, while looking for a better
      truck. The general comments were that the auto shift was good on the
      road, but not good off road. Main problem was that it was always
      wanting to shift, when you didn't want and jumping the truck around.
      As I understand the auto-shift, it is a complete computer controlled
      manual, including clutch. The one I looked at was maybe 13 speed,
      but only that 5-6 on the level. Also didn't see any way of lock
      unit in one gear, for moving in a field.

Comment

the meritor autoshift in my truck is able to move into manual mode which I use in field if big load on or soft. Just put in manual mode and flick the lever to shift yourself. Then soon as Im on the road I slide into auto and it does the rest

Comment

mustardman> Are you pulling trailers in the feild?

Comment

No I have a freightliner columbia tandem with pintle but no trailer -yet.The only part of the automatic that takes getting used to is reverse - its not as smooth as I'd like. I wonder if the eaton autoshifts (they have a clutch used to start out with) would be smoother initally starting out in reverse ?

Comment

Power is not short as it has a mercedes engine with 410 hp , load up with 700 bushels of grain to haul to bin and never know its behind you. On corners I slide into manual mode and use the jakes, then when I"m round corner slide back into auto mode -I do this because when wanting to slow down autos will free wheel quite a bit so I use manual if loaded on corners-

Comment

Drove a freightliner with an Eaton 13 speed auto transmission for a few days over the winter when I took over a delivery route for a friend when he was sick. Anyways I loved it for driving ahead, backing up not so much. Without a clutch you would come in pretty hard when backing into a loading dock. His truck was a 2004 and he has had it since new and has no trouble with it.

Comment

I have used my 2003 Sterling with Eaton 10spd auto shift tandem for 2 years.The clutch to start is like any manual. In the field loaded, it will not shift out of 1st uphill or when soft. The shift needs time to complete as the revs drop. Therefore I just drive till a slight decline and shift. After it's in second it will shift up no problem. I mostly use manual mode to shift up and down, auto on the road is okay. I don't care for the auto mode downshifts. It is a "wouldn't do without", same league as auto steer and cell phone for me. Mustardman, you also must have the paddle shifter. I feel that is the most convenient safety feature. I would not want to look down to push the buttons manually on a IH. I recommend everyone try a Freightliner style smartshift. Anyone who pulls super B's would need the 18 spd auto shift. How do you like the Mercedes, Mustardman? Any issues? I have a 450 version with 352,000KM. My Solo clutch siezed and would not self adjust so replaced it. What temp does your transmission stay at? We see about 9 o'clock, 150F on the gauge. What style and size of pup would you pull? I have been looking but see a lot of rusty worn out stuff or expensive converters.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...