• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bourgault 5710 drill, what options should I get?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, I have not ordered a drill yet, but Bourgaults program ends June 23, so I will have to decide soon.

I am still torn between 9.8 and 12.6 inch spacing. A 40 foot unit on 9.8 spacing has 50 shanks and a 42 foot unit on 12.6 spacing only has 40 shanks. The 9.8 spacing will have higher operating costs, take more power to pull and move more dirt, however it will have a crop that will canopy the ground quicker. The 12.6 machine will cost less to buy, be cheaper to maintain, take way less power to pull, but it will be very rough and take longer for the crop to canopy over the ground. The conservapak people and most Saskatchewan data shows that 12 inch rows are equall to 10 or 8 inch for yield. The Alberta data shows that narrower and wider rows gave more yield. I have neighbors that swear by each system.

I am strongly leaning towards a 12.6 inch spaced drill, but I worry that I might be making a mistake. It costs so much to trade that I would like to do it right the first time.

Thanks for all of your input and help.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
    • Return to Topic List
    Working...