• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GPS Guidance Systems

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GPS Guidance Systems

Would like to here from anyone who has a GPS guidance system. I have been looking around and like the looks of the Outback, but also interested in any, good or bad, comments on any such as the Outback, Trimble, Raven, SwathXL, etc. I plan to use it for spraying an seeding.

Kent, I'm a dealer for Trimble so you can take this with a grain of salt if you wish-but I'm not trying to steer you wrong if you'll pardon the pun.
    First thing to look for in a GPS product is the strength of the company that manufactures it. Do a google search on CSI Wireless. They are the company that manufactures the Outback for RHS and they also manufacture and market Satloc. Check the financial status of CSI. If you look at Trimble and Raven, you'll see that they are doing well.
    Second thing to look at is do they manufacture their own product? As mentioned, Outback is made by Satloc's parent company. Raven bought Starlink so they do own their own manufacturing. Trimble makes their own product.
    Third thing to look at is the features the product offers. Do they offer the features you are looking for? Can the product grow with your operation? Or does it pretty much only do guidance with no ability to expand?
    These are good places to start. After that, talk to people that own different GPS systems. Ask them the weaknesses of their system as they will most assuredly offer the strengths of the product they dropped their money on.
    Good luck. If you have more questions just post them.

Comment

Kent, I bought a Raven system last spring. I have a reciever that only uses WAAS as a correction signal. I also have a neighbor with a trimble with a reciever that he can use for a suscribed correction signal. Neither one of us was satisfied to date with the WAAS only correction. I have another neighbor with two John Deere systems one with a correction, one without. The one without is not very stable. I would suggest that you make sure you have a reciever capable of using more than just WAAS for correction. Good luck.

Comment

We have been using Outback with WAAS for 2 years with no problems. It has been very accurate.

One of the best investments we have ever made. We use it for seeding, spraying, applying fertilizer (cultivator) and even harrowing

We farm close to US border so perhaaps WAAS works better in the south

Comment

Winston- you're right that WAAS works better the farther south you are. Because the WAAS satellites are above the equator, the farther north you go, the lower they are on the horizon.

Comment

Hi

I have a outback also. It is very simple to operate and have no problems with the waas system. To me it is the simple to run and to chage the seeting on.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I am leading towards the Outback sytem but the local Case Dealer is trying to convince me to try his system which is the Trimble but CaseIH compatable. So has anyone used it in conjunction with the Case Combine Monitor.

Comment

Kent-Case started using Trimble GPS receivers in their AFS combine system back in 98, so yes it is compatible.

Comment

Kent-since you are looking at a Trimble product, what is the appeal of buying Trimble product from Case instead of a Trimble dealer?

Comment

MountainDoo
                    I'm not sure why I would buy from a Case dealer. I guess the service of all our Case equipment and the compatability with our combine monitors etc. The guy I talked to took training for the system and is going to come out and give us a demo. Is there any reasons I should maybe not buy from a Case dealer, and rather buy from an Independent dealer.

Comment

Guess who trains the Case dealers? Trimble! By buying from a Trimble dealer, you get it from the horse's mouth so to speak. Case dealers don't have access to mapping products like EZ Map or the 170 field computer, so taking the next step means going to a Trimble dealer anyhow. Trimble dealers specialize in GPS systems and their use.
                      Like I said at the start of this discussion, I am a dealer for Trimble so I will back out now. My bias is only giving you one side of the story. You need to evaluate what features you want in a GPS product and buy it from someone you can trust.
                      Hope what info I have provided has been useful and that whatever you choose you will be satisfied with.

Comment

Hello, I am in the same position as kent. Trimple via my Case Dealer would allow a trial periode. I have, at this time a John Deere Green Star Yield monitor on my combine, but no mapping. So it would be logic to puchase a guidance system that can be used on the Green Star for mapping in the summer and be used as guidance system in the spring. Dealer direct contacts are wellcome. My email adress: kslseed@klempnauer.ab.ca

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...