• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Haybines

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haybines

I think I am going to be in the market for a used haybine this coming year.Since I know diddly squat about these machines I was wondering which ones a guy should be looking at,which ones a guy should stay away from and what wear areas one should be looking at on each brand.Which is the most effective roller configuration and what is the best size?Yes lots of questions.Thanks for any answers.

Countryguy; Hay rigs can turn into nightmares...If you know a neighbour who is trading or selling check it out.(well maintaned perfered) What type of hay?... depends if you need a sickle or DBine. How many acres per season?
    berwick

Comment

My opinion is a haybine is one of them things u should buy new or take berwicks advise and buy from some one you trust.

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys.I will be cutting for now maybe 400 acres of basically mixed hay(15-20% legume)a year taking only one cut.All I basically need is a cheap reliable sickle machine.Is there a "best "one on the market?

Comment

Countryguy;
          Considering the acres and if all your hay fields not square... you might want to consider a pivot-tongue it will cost more, but be more productive.
          I prefer a sickle for Alfalfa, find it is not as hard on the plants, clean cut vs. inpact cutting, regrowth seems to occur faster.
          Width of unit might have a bearing on raking and the rig you will use. Keep that in mind ( I made that oversight last year.)
          Conditioner rolls that I prefer are rubber intermeshing.You will get less bleaching if you get a shower, than steel. Steel rolls de-wax the Alfalfa stems and are a bit more aggessive, they do help curring but if you get a rain, bleaching will happen faster than with rubber.
          NH 499 will just about cut anything and NH has some other pivots 1475 ?auger tables that will lay a nice even windrow without bunchups or piles.

Stay warm,
          Berwick

Comment

I like my Nh 1475 .i cut 1000 acres every year and it has done very well for me for the past 5 yrs. I would like to trade for a new machjine this yr just to keep up with a new machine

Comment

I would also look at a NH 499 They were made for a long time and still could be bought new a couple yrs ago. This will mean lots of parts at wreckers and parts in stock at you NH dealer. Also there are priced rite because the bigger well established guys are buying Hydra swing disc-bines & trading the 499 a good machine. What ever machine you buy use it before you buy it! Try it under the conditions you intend to use it under. I bought a baler last yr tried it in Alfalfa worked 100% but when I went to bale green feed was very disappointed. Good Luck!

Comment

Since you are mainly grass hay,I'd suggest something with out a double rubber roller set-up. I've found the NH ones do not work the best unless you have a predominately alfalfa mixture(75% or so)

How much weight and hp do you have?

Watch out for mower conditioners that do not have full lenght conditioning(less roller lenght,than cutter bar)

Are you going to round bale,or square bale?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...