• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Straight cutting canola?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will never happen here in pothole country. We'll just be content with less.

Comment

in a few missed patches l130 has had zero shell out and swathed stuff has been in the bin nearly a month.

Comment

L-140 was about $10/AC more this spring for seed.
        Also added cost to spraying with heat or something that actually dries the canola down. Plus tramping/shelling everywhere the sprayer goes.
        At best the same yield in our experience.
        Also delaying harvest lead to huge costs some years.... Not always but what is the peace of mind worth to have it in the bin.
        Won't be doing it again here that's for sure.

Comment

Guys here already have the $150K swathers, plus now bought headers..Plus sprayed every acre with round up by plane..What savings?

Comment

some guys around here can't travel in the straight cut fields at all with combine , swathed fieds are dry

Comment

Straight cut canola in 2004/05/07/08.. Heated canola in 2005/08. No yield advantage to speak of in 2004/05 when we did weighed trials. 3 mph verses picking up at 4.7 mph.. $150,000 swather needed only if you can afford one. A $60,000 rig would do just fine for a few hundred acres. Last year small pea sized hail. 80% loss in standing and 15-20% in swaths. 2014 Bayer harvest ability trial swathed at 70% color change outyielded straight cut. Documented and online for all to view. I just don't get it either

Comment

Standing canola last 3 data under 10 from noon to 11 pm. Swathed wit go under 12.

If we were r straight cutting we would be sitting.

Different strokes for different folks

Comment

Also, for us, a time/resources management tool. If we have a large proportion of acres in canola it's hard for 1 swather to get to it all on time. Canola that can stand takes that risk away.

Another risk: I drove to an auction sale near Emerson yesterday and saw canola swaths moving around in yesterday's high wind.

Comment

Also, for us, a time/resources management tool. If we have a large proportion of acres in canola it's hard for 1 swather to get to it all on time. Canola that can stand takes that risk away.

Another risk: I drove to an auction sale near Emerson yesterday and saw canola swaths moving around in yesterday's high wind.

Comment

Well in today's high winds..swaths we shaking..but standing had waves all day..

Its a loss no matter what you do..No right or wrong..end result the same dollars in your pocket..

Comment

Just an observation but every combine I see straight cutting is traveling at 2-2.5 mph with a lot of black smoke puffs, while we are going steady at 4-5mph in a heavy 35'swath.
                        From what I see, any "efficiency" of not swathing is negated by very slow harvesting.
                        However, I do see the benefit of not having to swath canola and wheat at the same time.
                        Definitely watching with interest as new varieties and practices come along. I won't say never.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...