• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new auger engine

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new auger engine

I am looking at a new 8 x 46 grain auger with mover and sweep.

What is the best engine to use???

I am leaning towards a 25 HP Kohler.

Can't comment on Koler, I can say don't buy Briggs. I have a 20 hp Briggs Vangard, trouble with push rods on 2 occasions.

Have heard quite a savings to buy augers stateside.

Comment

Bought a 10 x 41 auger last year with mover. Put the
      new 31 hp kohler on with liguid cool, electronic
      ignition and fuel injection. Smooth, easy starting
      engine, even in winter. All kinds of power. Did I
      mention smooth? Wouldn't hesitate with the kohler.

Comment

I have a 13hp honda on my 7-37 auger excellent engine however it lacks a bit of power when using a sweep.

Owned the motor about 7 years now and all i've done in terms of maintenance is change one spark plug and oil changes. also very easy starting.

Comment

I have a 24 hp Robin engine (made by Subaru) on my 8 inch wheatheart auger and I am very satisfied. I've always liked kohler but this is just as dependable,easy to start etc.

Comment

Do not buy a two cylinder honda, they will not start after -15c without heat. The dealers will offer to sell you a anti icing kit, which i am sure works great if it dont start in the first place. The single hondas are great but you need more power.

Comment

frustrated 1
              Which make did you go with?

Can you fit it into a bin, once sheilding is removed or is it a hopper auger only?
              Did you get a bin sweep kit with it?

Comment

Bought the westfield. We built a hopper that slides onto the end to either dump the tandem into some smaller bins in harvest or unload the hopper bins. Not admitting to anything but the "cage" had to disappear to get it into the openings on the flat bottoms. We do not have a sweep as we use a vac for cleanup. You have to be careful(I learned the hard way) not to push the auger too hard into the bins as it will lift the upper piece of the door opening then the side pieces come together and get sucked into the auger. A cutting torch is the easiest way to get the auger free then you can get it out of the bin and back out the pieces of the side panels. It took the second one for me to dummy up. After seeing what it did to the door pieces I'd be scared to go in the bin with a sweep on that thing anyhow, it really gobbles things up.

Comment

I Have a 25 HP Kohler with the winter intake warmer. Works great. also have a 31HP Vangaard - not so hot!!

Comment

cris,

If you make a winter kit for the 31hp vangaurd it will run just as nice as the kohler. Hawes agro made one for my engine. Did not have it first winter and it was terrible. Ran excellent after the kit was installed. It welds a piece of pipe onto the heat shield for the muffler, and you attach a piece of special heat resistant flex pipe to your aircleaner intake.

The 31hp vanguard is an awesome motor. Torque like you wouldn't believe. It will start my 8" x 60' auger full of grain at an idle, when I turn on the electric clutch.

Comment

Have the Hawes kit. It floods!!! fills the crankcase. I thought that was only a Honda problem. Its still new so it will have to be checked out.

Comment

In the end I bought a 8 x 46 Wheatheart
                        with a mover and sweep and 25 hp Kohler.

Have not used it yet , but looks like a decent purchase..

Comment

Am purchasing a westfield 8x46 as well with a Koehler engine. Have a sakundiak with a twin cylinder honda right now and it is hard to say which I hate worse the auger or the engine both nothing but trouble, would never buy either again.

Comment

Just wonding why the Sakundiak is trouble?

Comment

Maybe I just got a lemon but it has been one thing after another. It is a 7x45 foot model. I have went through three gearboxes and the the flighting and tube are worn out after just three and a half years. The old sakundiak I had used before was fifteen years old and the tube never had a patch on it. Maybe like I say it is just the only lemon they ever made but won't take a chance on another one.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...