• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grain Handling Systems

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grain Handling Systems

After drying every bu. of grain we harvested this year I think it is time to arrange all my bins so I don,t have to do so much transfereing with trucks . I am looking for ideas and layouts to do so with my existing bins and a few augers I am thinking about a double circular with the dryer in the middle . I also want to be able to unload from the feild into one or two different pits with b-trains where i don,t have to reset the truck every time a 2500 bu bin fills up but just swing the auger ( A big auger 10 or 13") . I would prefere to stay away from one receiving bin then double augering to the final bin, I feel that can be hard on malt or peas also if I want to unload two b's one after the other I need a huge surge bin. .If any one has any ideas where I can get some more ideas I would really be greatful.

Have you looked into the loop systems?

Comment

Get an 18' hopper bin for you wet bin. Likely your going to need at least one tall leg. A swing auger on a small tractor is a great labour saver also. One farm I worked at had two wet bins we could dump into with two big augers or dump into the main tall leg. we had a short leg that ran all the time and when the drier switch came on for more grain the auger from the bin would come on and dump into the short leg. At the drier we had another discharge auger running over to the main leg for distribution into the double circle of bins. I plan to put all my hopper bins in a straight row and eventually one day buy a grain pump,(or grain drag line not sure if there is a difference) Anyway hoppers are in my mind the way to go. The last one I bought a 14' wheatland with powder coat paint and 4' aeration rocket cost me $4000 they wanted $980 for a single 4"x8" steel base crazy. I plant to put in 16" of concrete for about the same money.

Comment

The loop system for farm use is not a bad idea, but not an option if you grow seed or want at some point gurantee identity preserved products. Look back at your past 15 years and make a plan of how often how much grain needed drying. Unless you need this every year, a continous dryer is to expensive to set up. Go with a system that can let you easy revolve grain, bin temperatur monitors and good sized ventilators maybe some with headers. Also look at the location for your grain sytem, road restrictions, three phase power, natural gas, long time expansions. We set up a scale years ago and this is a very valuable tool. No more bin climing with insurance guys, disputes with buyers or sellers.

Comment

3 years ago I bought wheatland hoppers w/skids for 8 of my 2000 bush. bins and arranged those and 7 flat bottoms in a circle. I bought a 75' Batco conveyor and made wheels for going around the circle. The intake end pivots on a steel pin in a 15' concrete pad(good and stable for dumping, clean-up) I have rockets in the hoppers and 3 Edwards fans w/gas heaters when I need to dry stuff down a bit. This is suitable for my farm, but possibly not fast enough for your needs. With the single circle, I unload the bins to the outside with a 10", 12 meter PTO auger. Good for semi's. Plan for drainage, snow removal, and large trucks turning. I too have wondered how I would work a dryer into the system. I have considered a smooth-wall hopper-bottom feeding the dryer in the center of the circle. Using a batco transfer conveyor I could reach the big conveyor from the discharge of the dryer. The big conveyor running at an idle could easily keep up to the dryer, hit all my dry bins,and never wear out. Any thoughts?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...