• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Neutrilizing fertilizer in hoe drills??

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neutrilizing fertilizer in hoe drills??

Would like some new suggestions on how some of you guys and gals clean out your fertilizer boxes on your drills? What do you find most effective? At the cost of my hoe drills, I definately need to keep them in the best shape I can. Any suggestions?

I can get you lots of Hy here in Ontario at fair prices. But you have to arrange pick up. We have bails and Rolls.. Lots!! perhaps the gov't will subsidize the trucking fee?
    HayforSale@fieldscales.com

Comment

Pandiana, I phoned someone in Edmonton about exactly this just last Tuesday. We talked for about 1/2 hour and I told him we need some guidance. I guess he took his concerns higher up, phoned me back & said an announcement was "imminent" so I asked him how imminent? "You'll just have to wait"
      What bull! They want us to do "risk management" but when it comes down to it they leave us in the dark.
      So since I was in the mood anyway, I phoned the county of Red Deer & asked them why they have not declared it a drought area. Someone phoned me back the next day (sounded like a summer student)to ask me why I thought this to be so? "Because, like, Delburne has had rain?"
      I replied that our area has only had 9/10 of an inch or rain since the snow melted. So she asked me if this was less than normal?!? Hah, I didn't even lose my cool. But it may be a good idea if a few of you phoned in to let these people know that it is dry out there.

Comment

Corine, who did you talk to in Edmonton?

I have just reviewed Alberta Agriculture Site
        http://www.agric.gov.ab.ca/agdisaster/d_preparing.html

I was not able to find one reference or link to contact regarding drought assistance.

As usual they seem to think they have all the answers but they have totally disregarded the economic realities. For example, buy 1 years worth of feed to keep on reserve for disasters. Of course, you pay for this with the extra from your calf crop that you won't need for paying expenses. What about spoilage, and risk with storage?
        What about the fact that drought doesn't happen overnight with clear warning signs. Alberta has been experiencing drought in many areas to some degree for at least 3 years. Many of us have squeeked through the last few years buy the skin of our teeth hoping next year will be different. The result has been as steady loss of feed reserves, deterioration of pastures and fields and rise in feed prices. Stricken areas have depleted what reserves may have been available as we watch truck load after truck load of hay trucked out of our area, much of it paid for by the assistance of subsidies.

Comment

It'll probably be the same kind of deal as the drought assistance here last year, deferral of taxes for anybody selling more than a given percentage of their herd. Which, of course, applied mainly to A) older farmers who were already planning on selling in a couple of years and just sold off earlier because of the drought or B) hobby farmers who were in it for the fun times but once it got a little tough they were happy to get out for a year or two. As for the guys who were committed to staying in the industry and did everything they could to hold on to their herds, they were on their own.

Comment

Corine: Don't bother phoning anyone who works at the County of Red Deer. It is a total gong show and they basically know nothing. One notable exception is the new agricultural fieldman, Art Preachuk. Ask for him directly and you might get a straight answer. He was the manager of the local Agrium until this year and he is well aware of how bad it is out there. His hiring was the one thing county council has ever done that was right!
            The fact is it is your county counsel that is dithering and your best bet is to get in touch with your councillor(probably J. Perry if you live in division 1) and give him an earful. These councillors are paid very well to get things done and they are very sensitive to criticism. After all who wants to lose that $50,000 /yr. part time job?

Comment

Pandiana, sorry I didn't reply sooner, I've been trying to find the sheet of paper I had hanging around the phone where I jotted the numbers down, but can't find it got the number by phoning hail & crop who referred me to someone else, who referred me to someone else.....etc. You know. Guy I think was called Jack.
              Cowman, my rep used to be Gehrky, now it's Vander something. Still no announcement from the county. When I read what some of the other counties are doing Red Deer seems to be pretty unresponsive.
              Anyway, I guess we may get an announcement today re. drought assistance.

Comment

I used to have 620 IH drills and always fertilized. I started dropping the backs and washing them out with the pressurewasher. Then spray them down with an oil or anything that deters rusting. When they were sold many years later they were still looking like new.

Comment

I use a similar method to Shamus,only Iuse a large air compressor intead of a pressure washer. Ialso take a wrench and turn the shaft periodically during off-dseason storage.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...