• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you seeing a benefit to going (VR) variable rate.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you seeing a benefit to going (VR) variable rate.

Sounds like alot of people are going vr and companies like Farmers Edge are pushing it hard but I am interested to hear how guys that are vr for a few years see the benefits. Saves money, makes more money.

We are likely going VR but have not invested in the time to get everyone trained and the systems set up.

Thanks

Jury is still out. Trying 4 quarters again this year because of the atypical weather we've had the last couple of years. I can see the check strips in places on the yield map, but am waiting for a year when they don't disappear into sloughs or nutrient washed hills.

Comment

Thanks for the update. Hope it works for you.

What technology and system are you using to help you determine the value?

Comment

I seed with a flexicoil, but harvest with a John Deere, but the technology isn't as important as the measurement and interpretation capabilities.

Basically we leave a checkstrip with an amount of fertilizer that I would have fertilized the field without variable rate. At harvest time, you can determine side by side yields from the map in different soild zones on the field. A weigh wagon in addition to the yield monitor map would be best for comparison, but not always practical in a rushed harvest (and what harvests aren't rushed?).

Always remember that the variable rate has to pay for the cost of the consulting company over and above the yield of the checkstrip. Like I said before, so far on my farm, I can't say one way or the other if it's going to pay, but the weather was really screwy too, so I'm trying again this year.

Comment

We are considering trying vr this spring. The
          guys are spending time figuring out how connect
          all the information and equipment.

Farmranger could you use yield data from the
          combine, we run Deere combines, instead of
          plots and weigh wagons? Harvest is difficult time
          to do research.

Comment

buzz, the yield maps are a primary source of information for interpreting yield response. I only mentioned weigh wagons, as they are more accurate, but not really practical at harvest time.

If you wanted supreme accuaracy, you'd have weigh wagons at the end of every management zone and weigh yield response differences from the check strips that go through every zone. This would not be practical.

The JD Apex software will show you what you need to know anyway, if you learn how to use it properly. You might have to play with the yield graduations to show differences in fertility responses in each zone.

Comment

Last year was our first year; we used Crop Pro out of Naicam to Veris our Fields and then picked 5 zones. My wife then sampled the zones and we had the soiled analyzed by Western Ag Labs, using the PRS System.

We found some very surprising results, and more variability than we thought. We run a Morris Drill with 3 Compartment Tank and pull a liquid Cart. On our Farm we Varied the Nitrogen, Potash and Seed and left the Phos and Sulfer because they we the least variable on our farm. Last year was wet so we only ended up with one field that we really seen any results on, probably the biggest factor we seen was even maturity across the field.

We have now Veris and Sampled our whole Farm and after the Wet Spring in Weyburn, we are seeing N requirements vary from 40 to 85 lbs on the same field, we had excellent cycling due to the dryness late in the year, and have some nice N available. At these prices for Fert that’s huge, considering before we would have likely put 90 N lbs across the whole thing.

We went this route for a couple reasons, the Veris machine measures soil texture and the info is used to determine things like saline areas, we also get a very accurate typography so you get a map of your field with some real science behind it. We have used Western Ag Labs since 2000 on our Farm so it was important for us to be able to continue to use this method. Our total cost in the first year was about $6 - $7 to establish our sampling zone maps and then another $3 for Soil Analysis.

The nice thing is once your field is Verised you do not need to repeat so the following year it’s just the cost of Soil Analysis. So 2nd, 3rd Years and so on are about $4 per acre or less.

As far as ease of use we run a top con controller X20. It was simple, stick in a flash drive, open up the file in a windows type environment and go... Way easier than I anticipated.

Economics? Jury is still out on our Farm, but if the numbers we got on the variance this fall and with Fertilizer prices right now it’s pretty easy to see the return.

I would like to try Echelon or Farmers Edge as a comparison to see the differences compared to what we are doing and maybe we will next year.

Good luck with your decision.

Comment

Have to agree with m bratrud, that first year into variable rating is crop maturity the field is even. Makes harveating easier. We are still looking at the data, last years flooding is making it harder to interpert. Going to do more acres this year. You need to give it at least a 3 year trial to know for sure.

Comment

Don't waste your money on any VR company that doesn't use a veris. Only way to go in my opinion. Costs more but in the long run it benefits you more. You end up with a better report card on your land

Comment

My latest venture off farm venture is VR
                    consulting. Satellite imagery is a great
                    way to go if you want to test the water
                    and get a feel for the process, using
                    the equipment and learning the ropes.
                    Beyond that I don't think it is accurate
                    enough to warrant the extra expense in
                    most cases. If someone can cross a veris
                    and topo map for you it will pay big
                    time. More consistent land will show a benefit more in quality then quantity.
                    Hilly land is a no brainier when it
                    comes to yield. But a good veris and RTK
                    survey can be used in several way other
                    than VRN.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...