• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

tandem grain truck

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tandem grain truck

I have been thinking about getting a tandem grain truck and want to know what is best. Auto shift, automatic, Ultra shift or just plain manual? Also, talking with people over the last couple of years, it sounds like Cummins is a good engine. Probably would make about 10,000 miles/year on average. My thinking is that I would be able to better blend my grain on farm than have a trucker and super-b haul my grain and get whatever grade I get when it is dumped.

We have had tandems for years, one of the few around here anymore though. Everyone going to trailers or super-b, especially if they are bagging grain. Our newest ones are 2005 Freightliner Columbias, with Detroit 60 series engines and 10 spd Autoshifts from Eaton. Engines seem good so far, lots of power, 425 hp, use no oil yet. They only have 160,000km on so far. The auto shift is a dream when hauling to the elevators/feelots. In field, not as good, soft conditions make for less than ideal shifting. You can do it full automatic or manual shift though to get through adverse field conditions. Our other tandems have been 2 automatics and 1 nine speed Eaton. Each has it's merits but I sure don't miss the clutch!! Most people I've spoke with recommend the Eaton over Meritor for auto shift but do your own due dilligence. Many say more gears the better too, I have not driven anything over 10 gears so can't comment. Where you located? Picked up our last two at Camrose Truck Locators.

Comment

Thanks. I'm in central Sask. I've heard about the troubles in soft field conditions. What is the differance between auto shift, ultra shift, and automatic?

Comment

We have a Sterling with a 10spd auto shift, and a Freightliner FL 80 with an Allison Auto. in it..I would take the auto. in every time..Smoother..shifts in the soft fields..and no heavy clutch when moving grain around the yard..Wife loves driving it..another bonus...

Comment

Hello. I bought a 1981 Western Star with a new grain box from CIM in Humbolt in October 2010. It has a 855 cummins and a 9speed fuller tramnsmission. The cummins is bullet proof and I recommend them to anybody. This is my first tandem that I have had and I dont mind the shifting, so we will see what its like in the feilds come harvest. It does have a good low gear in it , so might be ok. Hope this helps.

Comment

You have a point about hiring grain hauling, the blending is not as good. Even when I have someone hired to haul my grain, alway the hired help the dockage is higher than supposed to be unless hauling to a crusher or the likes, I am talking local hauls.
            As far as making 10000 miles with a tandem grain truck my advice is to go with tandem trailer. You are more legal weight wise and you will have to have the class one anyways with the air system. If going with a new box and hoist may as well go with the tandem trailer, my advice. You would never go back. Downside is not many wives will drive it. As far as trannies I have the 13 speed and a 15 speed manual , the 15 speed is good on farm as it has a very low end for when in soft fields. All I can give you.

Comment

Oh if looking at older trucks I tend to get a lot of complements on my 88 mack 350 from experienced truckers, and have to admit love the truck, doors close with a click and windows roll up nice, still safetied.
              My Kenworth 88, 425 cat will use way more fuel, have to deal with what the hell you driving shit like that shit, not safetied cause will cost me 10 grand, not worth it for farm truck may as well scrap it.

Comment

Hopper, the difference between your 88's might be explained some by which truck got the first call. Most drivers would take the ugliest KW over the cleanest Mack as a matter of course.
                Seriously, if 10 grand makes the KW presentable then it might be money well spent. What else are you going to bring home for that kind of money? HT

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...