• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

sprayers and air curtains

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sprayers and air curtains

We are in the market for a pulltype sprayer. I'd like any comments one might have on bourgault vs flexi vs brandt and others.Also comments on air curtains vs cones.Anyone know if curtains with the small holes or the solid plastic type work better than the other.My consern is turbulance under the screan.Any and all replies greatly appreciated.Also some studies with reduced water volumes show great results,As far as effectiveness. Ohio state univ.study.Has anyone found this to be true?

I have just finished year one with the newest,biggest Bourgault they make and like it far better than their smallest model they make that I owned before. All companies biggest models are certainly better in my opinion as they are made of heavier components. I also put on low drift nozzles and consider it at least as valuable as it's air curtains.

Comment

We've sprayed with a flexi-coil sprayer with wind screens the last four years and are very satisfied with wind screens. A couple of times we have gotten caught spraying on very windy days, where the crop leaned right over from the strong wind. I have seen where one pulls through low spot that was to wet to seed, a tremendous amount of drift come from under the wind screen, and as one comes back into the crop it dissapears to no visable drift. The wind screens have made it possible for us catch up on spraying after or before a rainy spell. The results we've gotten spraying with the wind screens have been very pleasing. Wind screens biggest draw back is the clean up of them, a pressure washer in the water truck is the simplest way we've found clean of chemical residue.

Comment

We use a 100 ft Brandt with cones. They do reduce drift but not as much as a full wind screen. However it is easier to spot plugged nozzles and work on the sprayer.

The cones provide us with enough protection from the wind so that we spray in moderate winds and feel we are still doing a good job. You dont realize how good they work until you take one of the cones off and watch the drift behind that nozzle when compared to the others. There is a significant difference.

One problem we have been having is that when we hit the crop (or the ground thru a ditch) with the boom that the cones will twist back and break off the nozzle bodies. If you can get the most sturdiest nozzle bodies you can fin.

Comment

Another question about air screans. Agshield has an air screen which is a bit different. This being the screen is a solid piece opposed to perforated. I was told this is because they are the only ones with this pattent. Anyone have experience with a solid sreen? Or know anything about them? Thanks.

Comment

Well let me see now!!! Which do i prefer AIR CURTAINS or CONES. I know how about neither. They are both in my opinion useless!! Buy a set of good air bubble jet nozzles, maintain them and throw the wind curtains away for good. We have a Flexi Coil XLT that we have thrown the wind screens away, and gone to air bubble jet nozzles, and are obtaining better results without doubt. I also have a high clearance that I run on 30 inch spacing. I run with the booms at 38-42 inches off the ground. No problems at all, without wind screens. Sounds absurd but it works. I get faster kills than ever before, and my drift is less than it ever was with the flexi coil with air screens. GO AHEAD ASK QUESTIONS, I CAN ONLY TELL YOU WHAT I EXPERIENCE' AND WIND IS DEFINATELY A PROBLEM IN MY AREA IN SW SASK. I find a well tuned sprayer will knock the shorts off of one with air curtains or cones any day of the week. There is a lot of literature that backs this theory up, so before I would buy screens or cones, I would determine what it is you are trying to achieve with them.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...