• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine Oil Change - Before or After Storage

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Oil Change - Before or After Storage

Now that the crop is in, when do you change oil? I've heard both opinions adamantly supported by mechanics and service maangers and others who should know. For those who say before storage, they say that your main bearings are sitting in fresh oil and fresh additives. For those that say after storage, they say that over 10 months of time through huge temperature changes you get condensation in the crankcase and it's best to get rid of this contaminated oil before working it in the spring.

I see merit to both points. What have you heard or what do you do?

We are most likely changing oil more often than needed anyway, I think leaving older oil in the engine is no problem at all. so I opt for the pre season change.
    Then again I had bulk oil from last year anyway in a plastic container, wonder if that makes any sense. Once that is gone I am going strickly 0 40 synthetic.

Comment

I do mine after storage. Not to say its better, just the way my dad did it and I do it. I have some engines from the 1950's still running so I think I'm not doing anything wrong.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...