• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

seed drill spacing

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

seed drill spacing

I would like to know if anyone has used 12 inch spacing, where the seed spreads out over 2 1/2 inches, and if someone can tell me his experiences with 12 inch row spacing. Do you know if the yield is harmed by the wider row spacing.

In a high rainfall area with 12" spacing and a narrow seed band how could it not hurt the yield. Weeds will grow between the rows, I don't care if you are no-till, zero-till, or a recreational tiller something will grow there. I think concords ribbon seeding (6' band of seed on 10 or 12' centers) would work better than the knife openers in the black soil high rainfall area. Anybody want to enlighten me?

Comment

I've been seeding with 12" spacings for 3 years and have been growing some nice crops(exept this year). I use a 2" spoon opener and usually shoot some fertilizer. On a wet spring I'll put 100 Lbs. of 34-17 but if its dry i'll put in about 65lbs. On irrigated ground I have to band first then seed. As far as weeds go I haven't noticed a problem between the rows. I'm direct seeding so the weed seeds don't get packed betwwen openers. My ridgemaster discers are quietly rusting in the boneyard and thats where they belong!

Comment

I seed with 12" row spacing. I havn't seen any more weed competition as before with 6". There are very few draw backs to 12". I'm using 3/4" wide knife on a conserva pac.I believe I ned a high seed rate to compensate for less tillering, as I 'am using less ground area. What you will find with 12" rows is that it is a easy job field scouting. What ever is between the rows is not what you want and you can see this from the truck window.NO scratching to see if it is wild oats or wheat.As far as yield I switched to zero till with one big jump from disc drills.We had almost no rain all summer and raised a crop a little below normal.I don't think the spacings hurt any in fact I see less disease. Less leaf disease in my cereal and less sclerotina in canola. I'm guessing it is more air in the canopy. WE don't harrow any crops after harvest or before spring. With the 12" there is no need.WE chop our flax straw and seed into it in the spring with little and mostly no trouble at all.I seed spray harvest. MY fuel bill is way down.With out large centers this would not happen.

Comment

I have used 12.5 inch row spacing on my 5710 mid row band machine. I am in a black soil zone and I have never had any drawback in yield yet from examination of neighboring fields and talking to neighbours. First year extra rain and second year dry. I use 3/4 inch knives and plant shallow. My crop seems to have the edge on the weeds. And not much is growing between the rows because it is not packed. The roots from my crops have been able to take controle of the seed bed by spraying time. . This is my experience over 2 years. I believe that different soil types may have a different affect how the crop can set roots into the soil. But in my black top soil the crops do fine on 12.5 inch rows. and by the way my wheat crop goes into the ground at 66 lbs to the acre, barley at 68 as planned. I grow, wheat, barley, flax, canola, peas etc. So far has worked for me.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...