• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Straw Burning

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Straw Burning

Has anyone made a gizmo for burning straw in the field? Something that would drip or spray burning diesel fuel onto straw. There has to be something better than a tiger torch strapped to a quad or bumper of 1/2 t.

Why are you burning your straw? You are throwing away a lot of money!

Comment

You might as well light the field with $100 bills.

Comment

Its called a straw chopper, spreader, and harrow. Burning is for when the field cannot dry out in the spring. Otherwise why?

Comment

Two seperate neighbours were trying with their green combines. Dropping little fire balls from bearnings. Don't think they'd recommend it though.

Comment

Thanks for the Ridicule. But you didn't answer the question. By the way I have been continuous cropping since 1968 and always work in our cereal straw except oats. The oat straw is to heavy to spread back over the land and there is way to much of it.

Comment

A friend of mine just rigged up a 2' piece of 1/4" copper tubing onto a small jerry can. He crimped the end of the tube so only a thin stream of gas can squirt out. When the can is sitting with the tube pointing straight up he lights and it burns the fumes. Then wherever you pour the gas it basically is like a small stream of flame. He can drive 15-20mph with his quad while laying down a trail of fire.
              10 times faster then a tiger torch.

Yes, it does sound dangerous but i've seen it being used and it's not too bad.

Comment

I wasn't trying to be a smartass, just dumbfounded as to why you would burn your straw. Why would you not bale it up and sell it? That would make more sense to me than just burn away your equity.

Comment

Well dfarm11, around here all the cattle guys bale all their own. Any time there is a perceived straw shortage I have advertised on MAFRI website in Manitoba. Around here there is lots of straw and most everyone burns oat straw. I have tried chopping it with a fine cut chopper, heavy harrowing in fall and again in spring but there is still to much residue. After all that kind of field work it is cheaper just to burn.

Comment

Really? I just can't fathom that! Around here, it would be so easy to move oat straw. You may not get rich on it, but it would most definitly be taken by somebody.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...