• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Likely need a new sprayer...any advice on used?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Likely need a new sprayer...any advice on used?

Looking to purchase our first high clearance sprayer strictly for farm use. We are currently running a 2004 90' suspended boom flexicoil sprayer with a 1250 gallon tank. We are a smaller farm total spraying in an average year would be roughly 7000 acres 10,000 or so in a year with bugs.

We are looking for high clearance because we are finding we are doing much more in crop and need to hire that portion.

Looking at various sprayers and want to keep the price below $70,000. There are a number at that but some are houred at 4000 some are 2700. What should I be worried about and what is classed as high hours on a sprayer. I am guessing at that price range we would be looking at a 854 rogator or 84 0r 8600 willmar. I would like to have min 90' booms possible expansion to 100' and min 800gallon tank. Any thoughts

We're in about the same scenario you are. Don't think there's anything wrong with either spayer you're looking at. Problem is the hydro drives in an houred up sprayer. Too expensive to justify fixing on a 3000 acre farm. We've been looking at a larger coupe or an apache with strictly mechanical drive. You don't have the 4 wd but you also don't have a $7000 bill whenever a wheel stops turning. Or buying something with a few less hours and teaming up with a close neighbour. Two guys together isn't a bad idea spraying. Water and chem are already there as well as moving made easier.

Comment

Frustrated has a point of teaming up with a neighbour is what I would seriously look at in your situation. You could actually go for a new case IH with 100' boom and auto hight, heavey stainless tank best in industry, clean out is very nice, auto on off boom, extra wide second set of tires, that pulsating spay system worth 15000, better ride, dividers all for 250 grand, Your depreciation may not be much different that what you find out out there with a used. I have seen used models go for nut price at auction without the tires etc. Perhaps one does the labour and pays the other for the labour.

Comment

We were in the same boat. Ended up getting a little Wilmar 765 SE. A little underpowered but we make due and it's light enough to go through anything with the 18.4's on,all without big payments!! LOL. Easy machine to keep running too.And no sharing with the neighbor. That works great until there is some sort of dispute.

Comment

I have the 250,000 3320 Patriot.. awsum machine but not economical for only 10,000 acres/year.. sprayed 15,000 for myself and custom 12,000.. Therefore it is justifiable. If i was in your position I would look at a 3185 patriot with 2000-2500 hrs on it .. Very comfortable ride and you will find that they arent busted up in the same fashion as the apaches,rogators,deeres etc. Neighbor has a WT Patriot with like 6500 hrs on it and the thing runs like a top.. Unlike some of the others the Patriots are supposedly inexpensive to repair in the wheel motor department (just what i am told).. After demoing apaches, spra-coupes which are fine units I bought the 3320 JMO

Comment

The biggest thing is condition and service. Buy something you can get service for, monitors and controls can be a real pain in the A$$ and expensive too. Expect to replace some of the electronic crap every year after the sprayer is a few years old, a flow meter, or a couple boom valves a year. My personal opinion is that a good sprayer is more important than any other piece of iron on the farm. you can cover the ground when it ready not when it works for someone else.

Comment

I appreciate the advice. Going to talk to some friends about working together.

Comment

I currently have a 2002 1254 Rogator and have had very good luck with it. It now has just over 2000hrs on it and I am going to upgrade to a new one. Probably a Case because I own all Case equipment and the demo I had was very impressive. If your interested in mine I am asking $115,000. It is a 90' with GPS & foam marker, 1200gal stainless tank, Norac boom height control, and 3 sets of Nozzles, one set is the very expensive Varitarget that opens and closes. Two sets of tires, big floats and 380's for narrows.

Comment

Consider leasing a good used sprayer with low hours. Then you get your spraying done and have time to custom spray a little. Make sure you got water tanks and you are off to the races.

Comment

Kent: do you still have that Rogator for sale that you mentioned on October 28 ??
                    We,re looking for a good one.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...