• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to get into sheep farming????

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ontario has the strongest market for lamb in North America.The provincial flock has grown by over 40% in the last few years. To answer some of your questions 1) prices vary during the year with the highest prices running around $140 hd. right now to a low of $80 hd. in the fall for lambs from 70-100 lbs. 2) 10 ewes can produce 10 - 23 lambs or more depending on breed per lambing 3) Ewes remain productive depending on condition up to 7-8 yrs.
    4)Will depend on your expenses
    I would suggest you check out www.ontariosheep.com and subscribe to the Ontario Sheep News, attend meetings in your area. Kemptville College has a course in Sheep Management running right now. There are over 4,000 shepherds in Ontario, and most are very willing to talk "sheep". I will say that there is a large turnover in sheep producers due to bad planning, and lack f a business plan - but there is a strong market for the product at both the public stockyards, and to sell at the farmgate for those with talents in that direction. Good Luck!

Comment

Kathy V has given some good info. Search for sheep as lots of good web sites.
      The most popular sheep in Ontario are Rideau Arcott, Suffolk, Polled Dorset. Might want to critique this.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...