• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Accounting software

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accounting software

What are farmers/ranchers using for accounting software? What do you like and dislike about it? How are guys liking the Settler stuff?

Funny that you asked that. Just this morning my spouse and I were discussing AgExpert, which is the program that replaced Settler. She loves the program, it works very well,

.. BUT they want $229 EVERY YEAR for the updates, which is more than just a bit excessive in my opinion. Sure you get a bunch of "free" stuff with the update, but we've never used any of that "free" stuff, ever.

Comment

I use AgExpert. I have had a love/hate relationship with it over the years. As I get familiar with it I like it better all the time. I don't use a lot of the budget and planning stuff. I just don't seem to have the time to learn the extras.
      The $229/year bugs me too. It's high. But having said that the support is really good and if you are new to it you will get your money's worth. I use the support less and less but still call them from time to time. Actually the support is pretty important especially for computer illiterates like me.
      The updates usually aren't earth shaking but I do believe the program is getting better all the time
      Bottom line is that you don't have much choice. Except for the program out of Bustall, SK (the name I forget) I don't know of any other farm accounting programs. Personally I don't think the regular accounting programs such as Quicken are easily adapted for the farm. Could be wrong about that.
      The double entry aspect of AgExpert is very important.
      You don't have to be brilliant to use AgExpert. I'm living proof of that. But if you really aren't a computer type of guy or girl then get an bookkeeper. It takes some patience to learn the ins and outs of the program.

Comment

the program from Butstall is FarmTool. I have used it about 10 years its a simple spreadsheet easey to use. I'm not sure if it is still avaialable, the number I have is 306-679-2299

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...