• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

crop consultants

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

crop consultants

Does anybody use a crop consultant? Not an agricore buy all the fert you can afford plus 10% guy but an independant, for hire consultant (like green drop or agritrends). I work off farm and dont spend as much time with family as i would like so i am looking at a consultant to help but it has to make $ense. Please no bashing, give reasons for liking or disliking the service. thanks for any input

In your case a crop consultant may be a good idea. Afew yhings to note, make sure your consultant has extensive farming expeirience, some consultants who have never spent hard earned money out of their own pockets will be 'liberal' with yours. Also, negotiate their fees.

Comment

The basic idea is good: field walking, ideas, best chemicals, etc. They're supposed to know all this. The fellow that started the company probably does. We found once they've got a few customers they tend to hire ag students looking for summer jobs to do the field work. Personally, I feel this is the most important part, recognizing potential problems in leaf disease, defficiancies, new weeds, etc. If they've got a summer student out there, you've got someone looking that probably knows less than you do already. Is that saving you money or going to cost you more? If the guy with the experience is the one out getting his shoes dirty there will be value for your dollar.

Comment

It doesn't make one difference to the Japanese consumer, because they know their domestic beef is now safe. If the Americans suceed it forcing open the Japanese market to untested American beef then I suspect you will see consumption fall unless it is segregated?
        The solution for BSE is so simple...test everything! And yet our government and the Americans are so against it! Why? Well the people who really matter are making record profits so why would they(and their bought politicians) want anything to change? The fact is all the so called cattle organizations are in reality packer organizations, doesn't help?
        The cow/calf producer, the feeder, the consumer, and ultimately the grain farmer are expendable in the eyes of the multinational meat oligarchy.

Comment

I have used an independent crop consultant for about 3 years and feel I am getting value for money. The key to this process is to determine where you feel you need help and try and tailor a program to meet those needs. On fertilizer we were poor on manure management and not believing in soil tests. We now have a much better comfort level dealing with both. In herbicides we fell short scouting for weeds( just not enough time)and in doing follow up to confirm the herbicides did what they were suppose to. For many of us we forget we are spending a fortune on imputs and it's important we get a return on those investments.

Comment

I have heard very good reports about the Agri-Trend Agrology Ltd. group based in Red Deer. (403) 343-8288.
            I don't work for them and haven't used them but they're worth considering.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...