• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you use field yield mapping software?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I should have said that "you act like a sore loser". No, you haven't actually lost but a little impediment has arisen towards "the final solution" which has to be explained away or disregarded for the most part by the government.

You devoted a pile of words to attacking the good Judges conclusion to the whole affair...trying to convince the viewers of this forum that he erred. I believe that most people have made up their collective minds already...there certainly has been enough exposure through the MSM.

Comment

Questioning does not equate to attacking.

And you're right - most people have made up their
      minds, however, it's not their "minds" that interest
      me. It's the minds of the judges that intrigues me.

You have made up your mind what is "right" - I
      assume you prefer the "rule of law" argument put
      forward by Campbell. And you reject Roleau's
      "supremacy of parliament" argument.

I don't know which is right. But it matters. All I
      know is that all this legal BS is not helping the
      grain markets one iota. And when you consider
      that it really doesn't matter which is right, the law
      will change and the single desk will be gone, you
      gotta just shake your head and wonder who's
      taking care of farmers and the AG community in
      all this.

If the Friends of the CWB only wanted a
      declaration that the Minister erred, they got much
      more than that. They also got a lot of uncertainty
      which only costs farmers.

Comment

It seems to me that the role of the courts are to rule on matters in dispute which put before them. From that it would make sense to me that their determinations should be clear, and give effect to the parties which are in dispute. To simply make a statement which has no force and effect not only is a meaningless and fruitless effort, it could bring the whole system into disrepute.
        Why a judge would simply add to the already sky high pile of political views is beyond my simple mind's ability to understand. The judge said himself that his declaration will make no difference to whether the law will be changed.
        Why he did not tell the applicants that since any declaration he might make would have no effect, he would not make one, is something I do not understand. What it says to me is that the court (or this judge in particular) has become politicized and is more interested in weighing in on political debate than settling legal disuputes or determining relief.
        I would have more respect for the system if, when presented with questions which cannot be answered in way that has a real and consequential effect, courts would punt the applications back into the field of play where they belong; politics.

Comment

jdepape,

The issue would appear to be timing, which I am told is everything.

You cannot limit the right of successive governments to repeal or amend legislation. It appears that the TPA had a provision that said it could not be repealed or altered without a referendum. Can't do that.

Besides, as soon as you repeal or replace the statute, the limiting provision no longer exists. Tom's point from an earlier thread.

However, Ralph Goodale didn't win the Gold Medal at the University of Saskatchewan Law School (top of his class) for nothing. Section 47.1 of the CWB Act says that you cannot table a Bill in Parliament that adds or subtracts grain from Part IV without a referendum. Note that it does NOT say that you cannot amend or repeal any provision of the CWB Act. So, section 47.1 is in full force and effect when the Bill is tabled. Ooops. Table the Bill C-18 in Parliament and you break the law.

Repeal section 47.1 first, then table the Bill and no law is broken, so you cannot argue that the section prevents you from changing the law. Sequence and timing.

Love him or hate him, you gotta admit that Ralph sets a fine trap.

Comment

My guess, based purely on logic, says that if you clearly break the law; then you have "tainted" the whole process and changes irreversibly. What stems (C-18)from the breakage of the law would seem to be "fatal". I acquired that word when a court official once used that word in telling a lawyer what would possibly happen, since he was about to appear before the court improperly dressed (he had forgotten his proper robes).

And who thinks it will be clear sailing after Thursday's Senate vote and potential proclamation shortly thereafter? And who thinks the Christmas holidays will calm the court cases?
            I've heard that some of the quickest court action and appearances happen on about Dec. 22 and Dec. 23 when most people are busy with the festive season. Remember that this is a Crusade for both extremes.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...