• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

days to maturity

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

days to maturity

Now don't get all hung up if i mention organic but i have a question for any organic guys if you even want to let anyone know who you are.

What are your days to maturity over a conventional farmer. Since there is no burn down and you have to let it mature naturally.

I would actually like to see some numbers. How many days shorter does it take your crops to mature. Actually don't say numbers if you said 50 somebody would say 49 just to beat you. But does it mature alot faster ??

I need to learn alot more about organic farming. I support ALL farmers and ALL pracrices i just like to understand every type of farming inorder to make sound decisions

Seems a bit a strange question. I am not organic but organic producers as far as I know plant later to get a flush of weeds to grow first then plant to get their crop of the the best start that they can.
    Of course they cannot desicate but they will swath and swathing kills and dries down the plant much faster than a burn off, unless it rains 6 inches where as the standing crop may not be better off anyway.

Comment

Back in the good old days they used to say swathing gained you 2 weeks. dessicate is 20 . The problem was bad weather.

Comment

Why would days to maturity be any different for organic as compared to conventional farming? The days to maturity given in the "Varieties of Grain Crops" publication in Sask. is days to swathing maturity.

The times given in that publication are averages and vary considerably from year to year. They have tried to emphasis relative maturity in recent times.
        But on your question - preharvest glyphosate (incorrectly called dessication) should be applied at approximately the same time you would swath . Really doesn't speed harvest any more than swathing. probably less.

Comment

Don't overlook that a poorer yeilding crop will mature faster than a higher yeilding crop.

Comment

blue . when you have an excess of N you will make the crop stay greener longer. depending on how you get that N in the ground can greatlty effect the days to maturity. I have a picture of wheat planted on the same day and on either side of the road. Our field was way ahead of the other guys. We did a split appication of N. To much N can do alot of bad things, and it can make your crops stay greener longer.

Comment

Now if two fields were planted on the same day and one field is a 7-10 days a head of the other and are at two different stages then one will mature earlier then the other.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...