• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a way to estimate canola yields?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a way to estimate canola yields?

Anybody know a formula to estimate canola yields? It would be nice to get an estimation like the corn crop. (one I've heard is 10 bushels per acre for every week of blooming)

I've always liked a bushel a day in bloom. Not far off your 10 bus a week. There must be a way of taking a square meter and measuring seed per pod and # of pods etc.

Comment

what i have done to try and give a ballpark yield is, pull a plant, pull off all the branches and count the pods on the main stem equals bushels per acre. On invigors this has worked more often than not.

Comment

I pull a plant and grab it where the pods start and measure how many hands it take to get to the top. Each hand is 5bu. It was fairly accurate but as plants get bushier I find it less reliable.

You can do a plant count, then a pod count and an average seeds/pod count and use an average 1000knl/weight to do more accurate yield estimation but it's verry time consuming.

Comment

Why are you even bothering to count?

It is guaranteed that if you don't count, you will never be disappointed when the field is done.

(or are you trying to estimate bin usage?)

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...