• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Types of Fertilizer for Fall Banding

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Types of Fertilizer for Fall Banding

What is the best type of N to fall band? I am using a 5000 flexicoil with the narrow openers, and plan to place about two and a half inches in moisture, hopefully!
    Not sure if I should use 34-17, or 46-0, and I have used both before in the fall with apparent succuss.

The N source in 34-17-0 is primarily urea (30 of the 34%) so from a nitrogen point of view, there is little difference between products other than the amount of product applied and any price differential per lb of N.

34-17 obviously contains some phosphorus...Whether you band all of your phosphorus requirements requires a bit more thought. Research suggests that banding P with N may aid in the uptake of P provided the level of N (in the blend) is not too high (roughly 60 lbs or less).

The flipside of this argument is that phosphorus aids in seedling establishment (especially in cool growing conditions). For this reason it is often beneficial to have phosphorus placed in the seedrow (or close to it)

Obviously, this is more crucial when soil test levels for P are low.

Often, growers will compromise on both sides of the argument and place some in the band and a small amount with the seed.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
    • Return to Topic List
    Working...