• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bugs in Barley Bins, Any Suggestions?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bugs in Barley Bins, Any Suggestions?

Any ideas on how to get rid of or at least minimize the presense of bugs in Barley that has been in steel bins for a year now? I would prefer not to fumigate, but I'm sure I'll end up having to.

I've heard some people say that a grain vac will take them out. I can even remember years ago my dad cutting a hole in a 5 gallon pail and hanging it below the vac discharge to create more air restriction with the idea that the bugs would get blown out.

The bins were never leveled, so I'm wondering if there would be any benefit to going up on top and sucking the peaks off with a vac.

get a brandt grain vac and crank it up, the bugs should get blown out with the chaff?

Comment

Throw some protect-it in after you're done with the vac. It will get rid of any straglers without having to use chemicals.

Comment

Vac it then apply protect it on the way into your next bin, aerate and leave for 2 weeks.

Comment

I wouldn't vac the peaks off they come down first when you empty the bin anyway. You probably only have bugs in the top, so just take the tops off and then see if you have anymore.

Comment

i heard guys using the rem grain vac and it worked good, but then again i never seen it just heard the REM worked.

Comment

Hello, yes there is a great product on the market called Insecto. It can be purchased at most Coops or independent dealers. Ask for it, if not you can call them at 1 800-663-5416. It is a natural product that works great and stays in the grain until moved again.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...