• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spraying

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spraying

Waiting for the optimum spaying window is difficult. I have some barley that needs the oats and broad leafs removed. 5 frosts out of the last 8 nights. Kind of stalled but ready the spray. 1 night without frost and a nice day would be good to go? Moisture is good, just need heat to make these crops move here.

Whats the forcast where you are at with our forecast I'd wait until the late weekend or Monday. I was told 5 days with no temps below plus 5 because these plants have been so stressed by the multiple frost events and dry conditions. I think theres a double risk, one of damaging the crop further as it may not metabolise the product properly and one of the weeds not being active enough to take in the herbicide. A VERY challeging decision.

Comment

Guess we're lucky. No moisture, just frost. No crop, no decision.

Comment

Thanks MC, our moisture is good, just been to cold and frost. Forecast is good for the next several days. The crop has potential.

Comment

With the plants being very stressed right now and possible warm weather comming a dose of tilt in with your herbicide i believe it's about 4-5 ounces/acre. We did this a bit a few years ago in manitoba when they had that really wet spring and the plants were stressed. Alot of our fields were rust free and no need for a second application at full rate. Not sure if it was the small dose with herbicide or the luck of the draw. The idea is that you get some medicine in the plant and it helps carry it through to flagleaf.

hey and why does Viper need to be mixed with a nutrient 28-0-0 ???????
          Is it because with out it your crop will be stressed and look like crap and cause the crop to go backwards and the 28-0-0 keeps it looking nice and green and the 28-0-0 helps it through the stress ???

Comment

How much 28-0-0 should I mix with centurion to help out my frozen ,beetle infested canola?

Comment

Not sure if anything could help out. I would say keep your chin up but i know thats easier said then done. I just wished i had more guys considering what i'm trying to tell them. Half fert now half later.

Comment

I put 25 lbs N and 25lbs P with the seed and am planning on topping up the N and sulfur as a blend .When would the window on this be the best?

Comment

on what crop canola or cereals.

Comment

Sorry about that, yea canola..

Comment

ya if it was wheat thats an easy one. For canola and the conditons were having id have to do a bit of checking. Usually foliars just go in with the spray so it's a one pass deal. What kind of N and S are you applying. With canola the more flowers you have the more pods the more seed. You would want the plant to be absorbing any nutrients before it goes into budding so it will have a boost in growth to produce more flowers. As well with the plant healthy at this point should help with any stress while flowering and beyond. When heat happens and flowers start dropping off i belive its the plants way of saving it's self durning stressful times. here is a link for applying 21-0-0-24 from the canola council'
                      http://www.canola-council.org/uploads/cpcreports/2002/CPC02foliar.pdf

heres a link for you canola guys for pod-stik

http://www.uap.ca/products/documents/Pod-StikBrochure.pdf

Comment

On canola you will see the most yield results from applying N a balanced blend at bolting to 20% bloom

Comment

Couple of comments.
                          1. Canola can and often has twice as many flowers than are needed for maximum pod numbers and seed yield. This allows the plant to lose flowers / pods due to various stresses and still be able to produce enough pods for high yield. It is part of the reason that canola is regarded as "plastic" in response to stresses, low plant densities etc.

2. Recent research in Saskatchewan (Guy Lafond and others, Canadian Journal of Plant Science 2008) found that canola respond to post-emergence N (surface bands), but at least 50% had to still be placed at seeding time, and the in-crop applications had to be at or before the mid-stage of bolting. Applying 33% of target N at the start of flowering (67% of the target N was applied at seeding) was 5% lower yielding than at the start of bolting, and 16% lower yield than at the 5-6 leaf stage, and 27% lower than all the N applied at seeding.
                          In contrast, research done by a graduate student at the same sites but different years and experiment (Holzapfel and other, 2007, Canadian Journal of Plant Science) found no yield penalty of applying N in-crop (surface bands) for up to 30 days after seeding except in dry years.

Unpublished work from North Dakota found that post-emergent N significantly increased yield in 4 of 12 higher yielding environments compared with only pre-plant treatments. Work in wheat in western Canada has also shown that most of the benefit of foliar applied N is achieved through subsequent root uptake (not much is absorbed by leaves).
                          Overall, the contrasting results indicate to me that more research is needed on in-crop N applications for higher economic canola yields.

Comment

absolutly b.s. Please make this publication open to me so i can read it oh ya its unpublished LMAO !!!. It has been proven with out a shadow of a doubt that plants intake very well through the leaves stems everything heck trees even absorb it throught the bark. THAT IS FACT. They used radio isotopes to track the nutrients when foliar applied to plants and trees. I can make this publication open if you want to read it. And if it's from chem company save it. My research comes from the U.S Atomic Energy Research Commission.It was proven in clay loam soils that foliar appied cations were 6 times more efficiently utilized then through soil application. please so NOT bore me with facts from unknow sources. If you talk it back it.

Heres another fact for ya. "Radio-isotopes absorbed by the roots and present in the leaves, such as phosphorus, potassium,calcium and magnesium, show losses of from 2% to 71% after 4 hours of leaching" Notices the quotes. I love to be challenged but you need some solid facts you can prove, and if they are funded by any of the chemical companies in any way they don't hold water.

i am excitied to read your study on foliar applications maybe i'm wrong maybe the atomic energy research commission and i are both wrong.

And THE ONLY way that a plant can take up nutrients through the root is if the nutrient makes CONTACT with the root. Foliar is a sure hit and what doesn't hit the leaf goes onto the soil to be absorbed by the soil and then some by the roots. The more roots the better and more of the nutrients the plants can absorb. If you have poor root mass you can actually be starving your plants.

Comment

and mhartman explain this to me. Why is it that a farmer that i can take you to right now is by now 100% foliar feeding and he has just as good if not a better crop then all his nieghbors that put all there fertilizier in the ground. last year he was budgeting for a crop input bill of only about 20-25 dollars and acre that was for chem and fert and he can seed later because by foliar feeding you let the natural maturing of the plant take place. All that N you put down is why it stays green so long.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...