• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vinegar vs Glyphosate

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vinegar vs Glyphosate

Heres another one to get you guys thinking. I'll copy and paste part of the article as it is written. I bet you guys wonder were i get all these ideas.lol

Acetic Acid, or more commonly known as vinegar has been proven to be an effective herbicide when used at moderate concentrations. A
    20% solution of vinegar tested against leading chemical herbicides on various weeds and grasses reveals just how effective vinegar is as a
    herbicide. University studies document that a 20% vinegar solution can directly compete with the common chemical herbicide Roundup
    (glyphosate). The vinegar solution actually performs better, is cheaper, and is drastically safer to use than a
    chemical herbicide

Hey don't blame the messenger for this one either.

Scientists are expressing alarm about the relationship between the application
    of a common weed killer to food crops and the resultant proliferation of
    potentially toxic fungal moulds in the harvest. Monsanto's popular product
    Roundup, which contains a chemical called glyphosate is alleged to increase
    the size of colonies of the fungus Fusarium, a genus of often very toxic
    moulds that occurs naturally in soils and occasionally invades crops, but
    usually held in check by other microbes. If true, these allegations not only
    call into question the world's number one weed killer, but they also
    jeopardize the world's acceptance of Monsanto's flagship line of
    genetically-engineered "Roundup Ready" crops.

"Glyphosate-treated wheat appeared to have higher levels of Fusarium head
    blight (a toxic fungal disease) than wheat fields where no glyphosate had been
    applied." said Scientist Myriam Fernandez of the Semiarid Prairie Agricultural
    Research Centre in Swift Current, Saskatchewan in a recent interview.
    Fernandez added "We have not finished analysing the four years of data yet or
    written up the study." While Fernandez's research recently made headlines
    throughout Canada, it was not the first to discuss the relationship between
    glyphosate-containing weed killer formulations and the enhancement of
    potentially toxic fungi, but it was the first to report on the possibility of
    potentially toxic crop damage caused by the link in wheat and barley, two of
    Canada's most important crops.

Comment

Neat bit of info.....going to price out vinegar tomorrow!

Comment

What do you have on using sugar or molasses in crop? Heard it is used on beans when they are stressed. Thought it might work on canola as well using about a pound an acre.??

Comment

How about some actual rain right about now?

Comment

Sugar is suppose to promote microbial activity, therefore increasing nutrient realease in the soil, same effect as tillage. I know one guy that tried it, it doesn't take much but I haven't asked him how it worked out yet.

Comment

I'm going to try it on the dandelion in my walk way before I start buying tankers of vinegar. I'll advise in a week, but I've heard of this before, never tried.

Comment

I've heard about this for around your home . i just thought it was actually cool they tried it again glyphosate and got great results. If it went big scale they could add a coupon for fish and chips with it.

Comment

Lean something new everyday, we have a small patch of r/r canola out of the way that may be a test plot. I would love to see monsanton turned upside down.

Comment

Oh ya furrow if your ever in saskatoon i'll have a beer with ya anytime.

Comment

I works fast at high concentrations, pure vinegar, but contact seems to be crucial. I only put it on half of one dandelion the half that I put it on is sick but the untreated leaves seem to be fairly healthy still. The one I fully covered is gone now, two days, but like I said i just dumped it out of the bottle.

Comment

Where is Parsley, I think she knows about these organic herbicides.

Comment

You know what they say you have better luck catching a parsley with honey than with vinegar.....

Comment

ps anyone know where I can buy 450's of vinegar?

Comment

Research Results from BARC
                              Greenhouse and field research have been conducted at Beltsville, Maryland, to determine the efficacy of vinegar for controlling weeds. The
                              results indicate that vinegar can kill several important weed species at several growth stages. Vinegar at 10, 15 or 20 % acetic acid
                              concentration provided 80-100 percent kill of selected annual weeds, including giant foxtail up to 3 inches in height, common lambsquarters
                              up to 5 inches, smooth pigweed up to 6 inches, and velvetleaf up to 9 inches. Control of annual weeds with vinegar at the 5 % acetic acid
                              concentration was variable. Canada thistle shoots were highly susceptible with 100 percent kill by 5 % vinegar

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.