• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crop rotations?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crop rotations?

This will be our third year with winter wheat, and if it turns out possitive this year we may chage our rotation practices.
    Typicaly we are on a four to five year rotation, but with HRSW and malt becomeing increasing hard to make money things need to change.
    Thinking of a simple and efficient rotation Peas - Canola - Winter wheat
    Half the canola would be an early R/R hybred 43E01 (90-92 days) the remainder liberty / sclerotina resistant R/R. Peas mostly greens or a feild our two of lentils.
    Winter Wheat could easily seeded on the early canola stuble and maybe all if conditions are right.
    We would only have to spring seed 4000ac and overall harvest would be about ten days earlier.
    Whatever canola stb can't be seeded to w/w in the fall could be put into canary seed,hrsw, or barley in the spring.
    I am getting frusturated with wheat midge, ergot, low protien, frost, and #2 - #3 hrsw that do not pay the bills.
    Open to thoughts and opinions?
    BTW - %100 of our winter wheat has been delivered of the combine saving loads of bin space. This may change with the fumbling or the cwb into next year.
    Flax could also be put on pea stuble if sprayed with solo, but no w/w for those acres.
    A three year rotation with still lots of crop options and the majority early harvest.

That is an interesting rotation. I assume that you will have to not use odyssey or pursuit in your pea year, in order to seed canola the following year. Looks like the new product Viper will be a perfect fit.

I can only make winter wheat pencil out for me if I don't spray for wild oats and the feed market for wheat if good. By not spraying for wild oats (or even if you do spray), can you get enough different chemistries in play, so that you don't get wild oat resistance?

Where I live in southern Alberta, the fields that have had peas on them 3 or 4 times, are starting to have problems with annual sowthisle and disease, making the peas fall over at harvest and very slow to straight cut. I am on a 4 year rotation, so not sure what would happen on a 3 year rotation.

I like the idea of canola after the pea crop, as canola is the crop with the highest value and can benefit from the extra N of the peas the most. Following with winter wheat or malt barley is a good way of thinking in my mind also, because the crop following canola is usally N deficient, and they don't pay for protein in winter wheat and don't want protein in malt barley.

There would not be much residue on the surface of the ground having only one cereal crop in 3 years. A good thing in northern areas, but a poor thing in drier areas. Where I live, the crop insurance coverage on peas is terrible, so that would make it slightly more risky for me.

Comment

Yes viper/solo would part of the pea chemistry.
      We have typicaly put hrsw on pea stb but as mentioned adove I am tiered of wheat midge, frost issues, protien fluctuations ect. The canola on pea stb last year was not our best - lack of sub soil moisture, but in general I think it will work well with the new chemistries. Not too worried about disease our weed presure. All the winter wheat will be pre-harvest sprayed and we have virtualy eradicated all perenials at this point.
      Thanks for your insight.

Comment

Last year I accidently seeded some RR canola on pea stubble treated with Odyssey the year before. The emergence was awful due to the dry spring and the first canola that emerged seemed to be stunted compared to some of my other fields. Believe me there was much concern and knashing of teeth around here all spring. My policy is to never reseed and it was too dry anyway.

I bumped into a neighbour one day and was lamenting my folly. He farms many more acres than I do. He said he does this all the time if moisture conditions are good. Basically its part of his rotation.

Well it finally rained in mid June. The canola stranded in dry ground came up. Thanks to the long fall the we got a fair crop. The yield wasn't as good as my earlier seeded fields but still OK.
        I've got some Odyssey treated pea stubble that I am thinking of seeding to RR canola this spring.

Anybody else had any experience with this?

Comment

We have done it before, depends on fall rains and spring moisture. If you have both coditions right, no problem. Keep in mind solo works well, and the new one with a touch of basagran should work great with no posiblity of residual. Last year we did the canola on pea stb(oddessy) but no rain for 50 days hurt the canola and part of it was due to the oddessy but we have never gone that long without a spring rain. Seems new extreems evry year.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...