• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

establishing alfalfa

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

establishing alfalfa

I was wondering if alfalfa would establish if it was seeded in early August. It's on a pivot that will be cut for greenfeed by late July. Any new hot shot alfalfa varieties a guy should be looking at?
    Darren

Anyone have any experience on direct seeding of alfalfa into stubble in the late fall on irrigated land?

Comment

I don't have any experience on seeding alfalfa on irrigated land but I do know of growers and research work that shows reasonable success with late fall seeding. To me, the practice can be compared to fall seeding canola where you want to seed late enough that the seed is not likely to germinate till spring. Direct seed should work fine provided a reasonable seedbed can be prepared in the one-pass. Also, a shallow seeding depth is crucial for alfalfa.

Being in S. Alta, probably my biggest concerns might be your chinook weather where the seed might germinate mid winter and not survive repeated frosts thereafter.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...