• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SWS or CPS on HRS stubble

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SWS or CPS on HRS stubble

I am trying to stretch my rotation this year but barley sucks ass. Its not worth much either.
    I have HRS stubble with hog manure spread and tillage done, very little straw above ground. What do I have to watch for with SWS or CPS grown for feed, to hell with the CWB.
    Past yield target was 90 bushel with CPS, not sure what to target for with the SWS? I plan on fungicide/copper/foliars as required. Hopefully 100 bu plus?

You could grow peas flax or Canola. Why would you not grow Canola?

Comment

our season here is to short for flax, my canola rotation has been way to short and clubroot scares the hell out of me, and I already have hog manure broadcast so peas are kind of a waste of nitrogen. This leaves cereals and feed barley wont pay the bills and malt is pretty tough to get here (wet falls) as well as I am at the mercy of the CWB for delivery.
      If I can grow 80 bushels of feed wheat I should be better off than screwing around with the CWB for a milling grade (I think).
      Even going to wheat/wheat/canola would be an improvement for me, I will look at pulses for 2010 but have been trying to build my fertility with manure and dont think the peas would work well this year.
      How do they grow wheat/wheat/wheat/wheat in the US?

Comment

do you raise hogs or are you lucky enough to be located next to hog producers? that's great that you have access to manure...

Comment

I have ILO's all around, the wife complains about the smell but they buy feedgrain and I buy manure. It works well for everybody.

Comment

Hulless barley may be an option?

Comment

why not wheat? an old timer tells me he grew wheat back to back in the 70's and had a yield drag of about 10% (from 50 bu year 1 to 45 bu year 2).
              This was without seed treatment, fungicide, probably common seed and definately under 60 lbs of N.
              With higher N to break down the straw, fungicide, seed treatment and newer genetics should help?
              I triend hulless barley in the 90's and it shattered horribly, didnt yield that great where it didnt shatter, and most importantly didnt pay more than 50 lb hulled barley.
              Is there a premium now?

thanks
              Ron

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...